VMware Cloud Community
chris0706
Contributor
Contributor

Why doesn´t vmware support Windows 7?

Windows 7 is RTM and available and there is no support for Windows 7?

- VMWare ESX 3.5 doesn´t support Windows 7 / Server 2008 R2

- VMWare ESXi 4 Sphere support Windows 7 / 2008 R2 only "experimental"

- VMWare Infrastructure Client doesn't work with Windows 7.

- VMWare ESX Sphere Client doesn´t work with Windows 7

- VMWare Workstation 6.5.2 doesn´t support Windows 7 > What is with 6.5.3 and official Windows 7 / 2008 R2 Support?

- VMware Player doesn´t support Windows 7

Why does it take so long to support Windows 7?

0 Kudos
35 Replies
mreferre
Champion
Champion

So long as in "a few hours"? Smiley Happy

Massimo.

Massimo Re Ferre' VMware vCloud Architect twitter.com/mreferre www.it20.info
0 Kudos
chris0706
Contributor
Contributor

@Massimo

"a few hours"... mh?

The beta was released on January 2009. The release candidate (no feature changes until RTM) was released on May 2009.

And the high priced vmware products doesn´t support the new microsoft products? There were over 6 months time for vmware to support it...

I´m very disappointed that not even the vmware sphere client is working under windows 7.

0 Kudos
runclear
Expert
Expert

It was "just" released as RTM, i wouldnt want Vmware "supporting" a RC build anyway....

-

-------------------- What the f* is the cloud?!
0 Kudos
azn2kew
Champion
Champion

I'm sure you're not the only one expecting Windows 7 and vSphere Client to be working out there and I'm one of them has to tweak around just to have vSphere client to work with Windows 7 which isn't what I wanted but at least for now. I had Windows 7 loaded with VMware Workstation 6.5 and tested was great and for Windows 7 Build 7264 running on my laptop, surely Windows 7 has tremendous performance comparing to Vista and I enjoyed it. For enterprise support Windows 7 on vSphere 4.0, I believe you need time for all the bugs to straighten out and next revision of vSphere 4.0 U1 should be supported on the list. Patient is a virtue and good things will come to those who wait. Hang in there tight chief and VMware developers are on their way to support it.

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

Regards,

Stefan Nguyen

VMware vExpert 2009

iGeek Systems Inc.

VMware, Citrix, Microsoft Consultant

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! Regards, Stefan Nguyen VMware vExpert 2009 iGeek Systems Inc. VMware vExpert, VCP 3 & 4, VSP, VTSP, CCA, CCEA, CCNA, MCSA, EMCSE, EMCISA
0 Kudos
Texiwill
Leadership
Leadership

Hello,

Windows 7 is RTM and available and there is no support for Windows 7?

VMware has never really 'supported' non-released products. I imagine that once Windows 7 is 'officially' released that support will be announced.

Why does it take so long to support Windows 7?

Because it is a beta product. Support is one thing, no vendor really supports their products on/within BETA operating systems unless the BETA is from the vendor itself.

I imagine Windows 7 is running within a lab somewhere, just do not expect OFFICIAL support until it is actually released. RC, RTM, etc is NOT an official release.

Lastly, most systems are backwards compatible, as in they work with older products. But no product is forwards compatible, I.e works with NEWER products unreleased, unannounced, unknown when the system was released. This is the case with ESX 3.x systems. You are asking for an older product to support something that was NOT available at the time the older product was released. Hopefully once Windows 7 is actually released, an update will be made to ESX.

You do note there is 'experimental' support for Windows 7 but that is because Windows 7 is not 'released' yet.

This could also be an announcement that is waiting for VMworld 2009

Best regards,

Edward L. Haletky VMware Communities User Moderator, VMware vExpert 2009, Virtualization Practice Analyst[/url]
Now Available: 'VMware vSphere(TM) and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing the Virtual Environment'[/url]
Also available 'VMWare ESX Server in the Enterprise'[/url]
[url=http://www.astroarch.com/wiki/index.php/Blog_Roll]SearchVMware Pro[/url]|Blue Gears[/url]|Top Virtualization Security Links[/url]|Virtualization Security Round Table Podcast[/url]

--
Edward L. Haletky
vExpert XIV: 2009-2023,
VMTN Community Moderator
vSphere Upgrade Saga: https://www.astroarch.com/blogs
GitHub Repo: https://github.com/Texiwill
0 Kudos
chris0706
Contributor
Contributor

@Texiwill

Hi,

Windows 7 isn´t a beta product !

Windows 7 is ready and it´s officially released by Microsoft.

Here is the official Microsoft Windows 7 / Server 2008 Blog Post:

Windows 7 Has Been Released to Manufacturing

If vmware doesn´t support windows 7 inside of two weeks, we´ll migrate to Microsoft´s free Hyper-V. (this supports officially all windows operating systems and is faster than vmware esx)

And even better: Live Migration and Clustering is free @ Microsoft. (VMWare 30.000 - 40.000 Dollar ..)

0 Kudos
runclear
Expert
Expert

Have fun on Hyper-V

-

http://www.rack42.com

-------------------- What the f* is the cloud?!
0 Kudos
mreferre
Champion
Champion

I think you are missing the basic of the QA processes.

I am not aware of any IT company (on this planet at least) that would perform an integration test with a Beta or RC version of a "partner" software product in order to declare supported its RTM. I understand that the RC is features-solid but it's not the same code. How can you test a build and support another?

BTW I am not sure the people on this forum would bother too much about Hyper-V terrorism as most of us are not on a VMware sales plan .....

Massimo.

0 Kudos
azn2kew
Champion
Champion

Good luck on your Hyper V implementation as well and will give us feedback how it goes with reliability, scalability and performance and security wise and if you look deeper into their solution, what they did for VMotion and Storage VMotion? Don't they required to be downtime with Quick Migration and claimed Live Migration will do live but its slated for 2010 and why can you wait? Also, you're aware of their Cluster Shared Volume (CVS) that requires every virtual machine to have their own LUN? What's their scalable numbers you can run within a host? I'm sure MS and Citrix will catch up in the future and they work really hard and want to lure customers that are not "virtualization" aware to cheaper and free price, but if you look at ESXi free edition too and still works solid. Remember, there is no such free lunch out in the jungle....everyone playing catchup and competitive marketing strategies to regain market shares, but if you have proven and trusted hypervisors implemented to 100% of all fortune 100 and 90% fortune 500 customers with 130,000+ customers worldwide what are you seeing? Why large enterprise and financial critical business using VMware as their #1 data center infrastructure and can you point me to Hyper V enterprise customers and what are the adaptation ratio comparing to VMware!

We're here to help those who need technical questions and concerns, we're not here to discuss marketing and defend anything but for IT consultants perspective, it would be true to ourselves that we admit what's good and bad implement it correctly with pride. Again, if you feel Hyper_V is better plus welcome and good luck and love to hear back. Remember Hyper_V doesn't support anything for Linux, Netware, Solaris, other versions of windows OS so its very limited with Solaris though.

In order to get close to the point where VMware vServices (DRS, VMotion, Storage VMotion, HA, VCB, Data Recovery, FT, VUM.....etc...) you would have to deploy SCOM 2007, SCVVM, SCCM, and SCDPM servers seperately and paid for it.

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

Regards,

Stefan Nguyen

VMware vExpert 2009

iGeek Systems Inc.

VMware, Citrix, Microsoft Consultant

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! Regards, Stefan Nguyen VMware vExpert 2009 iGeek Systems Inc. VMware vExpert, VCP 3 & 4, VSP, VTSP, CCA, CCEA, CCNA, MCSA, EMCSE, EMCISA
0 Kudos
Josh26
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

>If vmware doesn´t support windows 7 inside of two weeks, we´ll migrate to Microsoft´s free Hyper-V. (this supports officially all windows operating systems and is faster than vmware esx)

If bleeding edge support for products released a week ago is more important to you than any basic form of QA process, Hyper-V is exactly what you want. As for the rest of your statements, if you're so pro Hyper-V, why are you in a VMWare forum, except maybe to troll?

0 Kudos
wwsir
Contributor
Contributor

I am using VMWare ESX 4.0, build: 162856, and VSphere client 4.0, build: 164009.

Win 7 can intall in ESX 4.0. But it won't work after adding into domain. It usuall hang up at Win7 logining screen.

Can anybody tell my why? Thanks a lot!

0 Kudos
msemon1
Expert
Expert

If Windows 7 support is your only criteria good luck with Hyper-V. I have run the Windows 7 RC and it worked fine... had a small issue with VMware tools. There will be support for Windows 7,so it is just a question of time and which versions will support Windows 7. To bypass all the great features of VMware for one aspect shows you are missing the big picture. There is a reason why VMware has 90% of market share. Patience is a virtue.

Mike

0 Kudos
Texiwill
Leadership
Leadership

Hello,

Again we are talking backwards vs. fowards compatibility. The second does not work. It has never worked. People are running virtualized Windows 7 but its not 100%. But I doubt VMware will 'support' Windows 7 within 2 weeks. Quite frankly I would not use Windows 7 until every thing within the enterprise has been tested with a 'released' version of the product and even in a small environment that would take over 2 weeks. However, also note that RTM editions are not general availability editions either.

I would say this is something they will announce around VMworld, maybe before. But do not doubt for a minute that Windows 7 will not be supported shortly. Shortly is most likely more than 2 weeks..... Good luck with Hyper-V.

Best regards,

Edward L. Haletky VMware Communities User Moderator, VMware vExpert 2009, Virtualization Practice Analyst[/url]
Now Available: 'VMware vSphere(TM) and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing the Virtual Environment'[/url]
Also available 'VMWare ESX Server in the Enterprise'[/url]
[url=http://www.astroarch.com/wiki/index.php/Blog_Roll]SearchVMware Pro[/url]|Blue Gears[/url]|Top Virtualization Security Links[/url]|Virtualization Security Round Table Podcast[/url]

--
Edward L. Haletky
vExpert XIV: 2009-2023,
VMTN Community Moderator
vSphere Upgrade Saga: https://www.astroarch.com/blogs
GitHub Repo: https://github.com/Texiwill
0 Kudos
AsherN
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Well, I would not expect Win 7 to be fully supported as a guest until GA. It does work, but I won't be calling VMwarein 7 guest blows.

OTOH, I would expect CLIENT software to either be working, or at least have a stable public beta available. Many of us have the RTM. GA is 2 months away. I am expected to have a sensible evaluation of Win 7 to managment in and around GA. Typical way to do it is to load RTM on my workstation and run it through my day-to-day use. I can't do it now because one of my critical application will not run on it.

Massimo, most software companies will have been testing their code against Beta 2 and RC. While not a sure thing, code that works against RC is usually ready to be released as either late beta or RC itself against a RTM OS.

0 Kudos
mreferre
Champion
Champion

I might guess that VMware itself have been playing around with W7 Beta/RC. Testing a beta and support its RTM at the day of announcement is a different thing in my opinion.

Massimo.

0 Kudos
chris0706
Contributor
Contributor

Hi @ all,

i think the quality and reliability of vmware products is very good.. also the the QA process @ vmware

But, why is there no beta available? for example a beta of VMWare Workstation 7 (for example the technical preview of WS 7) and a beta marked version of VMWare Sphere Client which is working under Windows 7 RC/RTM?

I know.. the QA process takes a long time.

But why doesn´t vmware make a beta available in the interim time until the QA process is finished?

0 Kudos
asatoran
Immortal
Immortal

Hi @ all,

i think the quality and reliability of vmware products is very good.. also the the QA process @ vmware

But, why is there no beta available? for example a beta of VMWare Workstation 7 (for example the technical preview of WS 7) and a beta marked version of VMWare Sphere Client which is working under Windows 7 RC/RTM?

I know.. the QA process takes a long time.

But why doesn´t vmware make a beta available in the interim time until the QA process is finished?

There are alpha and betas constantly for VMWare products. At this time, there is no public beta for the next version of VMWare Workstation. (And the vSphere Client.) Anything prior to a public beta is usually "invitation only."

0 Kudos
RandomJoe
Contributor
Contributor

So, any idea of when Windows 7 will be officially supported as host and/or guest on VMware Workstation? Rough estimate of days/weeks/months? Or any estimates of even when the next bugfix update or tools update will be released? Thank You!

0 Kudos
LucasAlbers
Expert
Expert

People on the private beta, can't really comment per nda.

0 Kudos