VMware Communities
SL8R
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VM Player and Oracle Ent. Linux as guest OS troubles

My VM Player is version 3.0.0.

Host is Windows XP SP3, disconnected from outer world, static address on VM adapter 2 192.168.192.2 Firewall turned off.

Guest OS is Oracle Enterprise Linux 4 - it has static address 192.168.192.72. Both machines don't ahve DNS server, nor default gateway.

The guest runs Oracle 10g, oracle emctl provides db console on port 1158, and listener SQL expects requests on port 1521

windows dos window can ping 192.168.192.72 - and linux can ping 192.168.192.2 . From windows: dos ftp can connect to linux ftp server on standard port 21, and windows IE can see correctly http://192.168.192.72/ --> default page for linux apache (on standard port 80)

Here is the problem: from windows I cannot establish connection on any of this ports: 1158, 1521 --> as a result I can't connect sqlplus, or nay other oracle clients to work. Oralce works fine within the guest Linux: emctl dbconsole opens correctly, sqlplus connects fine.

Pls. help

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
EdStevens2
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Your config is exactly what I've been running for some time.

You probably haven't opened those ports in the linux firewall.

here's the commands to add port 1158.

iptables -I RH-Firewall-1-INPUT -m state --state NEW -m tcp -p tcp --dport 1158 -j ACCEPT
service iptables restart
service iptables status

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
EdStevens2
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Your config is exactly what I've been running for some time.

You probably haven't opened those ports in the linux firewall.

here's the commands to add port 1158.

iptables -I RH-Firewall-1-INPUT -m state --state NEW -m tcp -p tcp --dport 1158 -j ACCEPT
service iptables restart
service iptables status

0 Kudos
SL8R
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

you are abs. right : ports 1158, 1521 are closed to outer world unless specified otherwise ; I used 'seculiry levels' on the desktop menu - and even without restarting the network, (remote) windows clients were able to connect to the instanse. thnx a lot.

0 Kudos