VMware Horizon Community
prutter
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Unable to connect to View composer

From within the view adin console i am unable to connect to the view server to update any pools.  Getting the message Unable to connect to view composer when i select any pool and try to edit.  When i try to view certain items i get unexpected vioew.  Everything looks normal and nothing has changed since yesterday.  Any help is appreciatred  thanks.

Perry

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kgsivan
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Such issues are mostly becasue View composer is unable to contact database/dsn

From the vCenter server , if View composer is running, restart the service and ensure Composer service comes back to the running state withut any error.

If error occures, you are welcome to send the logs

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Andy79201110141
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Have you checked if the View Composer service is running in vCenter? Also make sure that the AD account used by View composer to connect to vCentes isn't locked, expired, or disabled.

RayUC
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have, and also tried my domain admin account to receive the same cryptic untelling error.  I've searched the web to find only 1 other person with this problem and they reverted to a 2005 SQL.  For troubleshooting during this POC install, I've installed a SQL 2008 Express installation to house my Composer DB, ALL other settings the same (except for the port connections left at 1433) the domain addition now works!  Perhaps there is something funky with our 2008 SQL production server. =(

0 Kudos
Andy79201110141
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

There is a port change in View 4.5, in that the port to connect to has changed from 443 to 18443.

0 Kudos
RayUC
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Just to add, my VM View Events strange configuration has been resolved too using this new SQL Express instalation.  I thinking something is wrong with my current production SQL 2008 environments but just to help out others out there just struggling to move forward... if something strange is going on with the View Composer domain addition or the Events DB setup, for troubleshooting, include building out a new SQL server on a new server just to find out if your current SQL server has issues.... seriously I've wasted about 2-3 weeks time on this searching the web and forums to find some type of resolution to no fruit.

0 Kudos
RayUC
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

thanks Andy, I've left the default ports, so its using the default 18443, and we disable FW on our servers as they are behind a FW to the Data center.  There are no ports blocked between my Connection Server to my SQL server.  So far things point to something wrong with my production SQL.  We don't use the default 1433 port, but I've specified the port we do use in the view config settings. 

0 Kudos
kgsivan
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Such issues are mostly becasue View composer is unable to contact database/dsn

From the vCenter server , if View composer is running, restart the service and ensure Composer service comes back to the running state withut any error.

If error occures, you are welcome to send the logs

0 Kudos
prutter
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

These guys are correct.  The view composer service was not able to start in vcenter.  There were some stale table entries in the database that were pointing to the OLD vcenter server.  I upgraded vcenter a few weeks ago but just recently removed the entry from view mananger admin console. Once i cleaned up those stale entries  i was able to start the view composer service.  Thanks to all that replied.

0 Kudos