VMware Horizon Community
stevebb
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

USB Redirection

Guys

Need help on something that's really strating to annoy me...am currently installing a 10 user VDI/VDM pilot for a hospital trust. Everything's going fine apart from a problem with keyboards.

The trust are a Dell house, and use the RT7D60 keyboard with built in card readers, which they use to access certain applications, but not for logons (yet, anyway)

We can connect to the virtual XP instances and everything works fine but no card reader, if I select devices from the toolbar, the USB redirection kicks in and loads the drivers for the card reader. I can see the card reader appear in device manager, but I lose the keyboard - mouse ok, no keyboard !!!

If I deselect the USB redirection, I lose the card reader but get the keyboard back ?

Have tried different drivers but am now looking at something that isn't going to work...

Steve

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
pbarber
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

The behaviour you are seeing is expected. At the moment USB redirection will only forward all the functions of a multi-function device, so when you forward the smartcard reader the keyboard is no longer available to the client machine or RDP client for forwarding to the remote desktop.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

If I am not mistaken the keyboard redirection is handled by RDP. Not sure if this would work or not but have you tried to enable the smart card redirection from the RDP settings? Do the problems persist outside of VDM and when you are just using RDP to access a PC?

If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpful/Correct buttons to award points

pbarber
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

The behaviour you are seeing is expected. At the moment USB redirection will only forward all the functions of a multi-function device, so when you forward the smartcard reader the keyboard is no longer available to the client machine or RDP client for forwarding to the remote desktop.

0 Kudos