VMware Cloud Community
vmproteau
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Creating datastores EVA4X00, 6X00, 8X00

For those who have multiple diskgroups configured on your EVAs. We have a couple tiers a 10K RPM group and a 15K RPM group.

(1) Has anyone created a single datastores that are made up of LUNs from 2 different disk groups (using extents)?

(2) Has anyone done it where both diskgroups were different speed drives?

Any thoughts on pros/cons for doing such would be appreciated.

I thought I would try to stay away from extents but, I'm finding in our environment the fight is futile.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Hagshur
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

you can get a 3d party plug in here

or use built in CLI

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Hagshur
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

as basic approch never use extent in production

0 Kudos
joergriether
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

absolutely 100% with Hagshur and in addition: never use lungroups of different speed for the same datastore or single virtual machine.

best regards

Joerg

0 Kudos
Hagshur
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

if is o.k. to ask what is the reason that you want to use extent ?

vmproteau
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Our clients often aren't able to accurately size their Windows servers. It is common for us to be asked to extend a Windows volume. They have allocated all of the disk in the disk group as well as many of the existing datastores. In some cases, if I were to get a request to increase a volume, I would have to use an extent to be able to have the additional space in the Datastore to extend the VMDK.

Of course it would be possible to cold migrate to a new larger new larger datastore to accomadate the same thing but, in some cases they have 1TB or more that needs to be increased and that amount of space isn't available or downtime is difficult to get.

I'll look into Storage Vmotion. It may help to avoid delay using extents. Even if there were no technical reasons to avoid extents, they add unecessary complexity for our environment. It's nice to know that one EVA Virtual Disk represents one Datastore.

Anyone know if you can use Storage VMotion to move only one virtual disk as opposed to the entire VM. For instance, I have a Windows 2003 VM with a C: VMDK and a 😧 VMDK. I want to only move D:.

0 Kudos
joergriether
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

afaik you can do that (migrate only one vdisk or migrate vdiska to storeb and vdisk c to stored) using the great svmotion plugin by andrew kutz.

best regards

Joerg

Hagshur
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

you can get a 3d party plug in here

or use built in CLI

0 Kudos