VMware Cloud Community
IRQ2006
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Using cold migration with VI3 Foundation License

Hi,

I have a couple of ESX servers with local disk and DAS storage attached to them, these two machine will be used for a lab farm, there is no shared storage also no other features required such as vmotion and HA ... etc, I only need to be able to move VMs from production ESX farms to this lab via cold migration. To save on the cost of the licenses I would like to use VI3 foundation license.

Can someone confirm if the VI3 foundation license adequate for doing cold migration.

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

yes you can use foundation licenses for cold migration but cold migration requires virtual center - so unless put up a vc server you will not be able to cold migrate - if you do not have vc then you will be able to copy the vm directories holding the files that make up the vm - the steps you will have to do is:

1. Unregister the vm form the original host

2. copy the files to the new host

3. register the vm on the new host

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

yes you can use foundation licenses for cold migration but cold migration requires virtual center - so unless put up a vc server you will not be able to cold migrate - if you do not have vc then you will be able to copy the vm directories holding the files that make up the vm - the steps you will have to do is:

1. Unregister the vm form the original host

2. copy the files to the new host

3. register the vm on the new host

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
IRQ2006
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks for your reply...Yes I do have a virtual centre ...

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

With the VM powered off - right click on it in the VC inventory and select migrate - and proceed through the wizard -

0 Kudos
IRQ2006
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks for the replay

If I may ask one more question with regard to the foundation license,

I am planning to merge all my enterprise licences and the foundation licenses into one central license file, is there any issues or special consideration need to be taken for that.

Thanks for your time again

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

as I understand it no - foundation for the esx server is just minus the additional licensed features -