VMware Cloud Community
AnandSatyaseela
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VLAN allocation

For a port group to reach port groups located on other VLANs, the VLAN ID must be set to 4095. Please clarify

0 Kudos
3 Replies
ENS-Inc
Contributor
Contributor

Setting a standard vSwitch port group VLAN ID to 4095 enables that port group to pass frames that have VLAN tags applied by the Guest VM's NIC driver.

This is analogous to configuring a physical switch port for VLAN trunking.

The following KB article has an example: Sample configuration of virtual machine(VM) VLAN Tagging (VGT Mode) in ESX

The following PDF also describes VLAN's and the use of Virtual Guest Tagging (VGT): VMware ESX Server 3 802.1Q VLAN Solutions The document may be dated, but the concepts are good.

I hope this helps.

Dennis

0 Kudos
DennisBray
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Setting a standard vSwitch port group VLAN ID to 4095 enables that port group to pass frames that have VLAN tags applied by the Guest VM's NIC driver.

This is analogous to configuring a physical switch port for VLAN trunking.

The following KB article has an example: Sample configuration of virtual machine(VM) VLAN Tagging (VGT Mode) in ESX

The following PDF also describes VLAN's and the use of Virtual Guest Tagging (VGT): VMware ESX Server 3 802.1Q VLAN Solutions The document may be dated, but the concepts are good.

I hope this helps.

Dennis

Oops..., Previous post was with the wrong login!

0 Kudos
rogard
Expert
Expert

This might help:http://roggyblog.blogspot.com/2010/03/network-monitoringsniffing-using_24.html

I take a trunk all the way to the VM then install Intel Pro Set drivers and and sniff each of the vlans.

0 Kudos