VMware Cloud Community
bardanes
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Installing vmware tools in Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6 64-Bit

Hi,

I would simply like to install vmware tools in a Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6 64-Bit VM from a RPM.

I don't want to install kernel files and gcc at all, so compiling is out unless I absolutely have to do this.

This is a small basic server footprint. X Windows is not installed. Perl is installed.

Here is the listing of packages to choose from.

http://packages.vmware.com/tools/esx/5.1/rhel6/x86_64/index.html

I have been reading the VMWare Tools Installation Guide for OSSP documentation (specifically table 2-7) and the core package looks like it does what I need,  but I am not sure which to choose.

Which package(s) should I install?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RParker
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Linux isn't windows.  Libraries are required because those tools and programs were intended to use libraries that were not installed with the OS.  The instructions are VERY specific, they give you a step by step to install, if those core packages are required you can't simply guess or assume they are not required.

FOLLOW the instructions, that's what they are there for, doesn't matter if YOU think they are not required, they are required if the instructions to install VMtools say they are required.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
RParker
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Linux isn't windows.  Libraries are required because those tools and programs were intended to use libraries that were not installed with the OS.  The instructions are VERY specific, they give you a step by step to install, if those core packages are required you can't simply guess or assume they are not required.

FOLLOW the instructions, that's what they are there for, doesn't matter if YOU think they are not required, they are required if the instructions to install VMtools say they are required.

0 Kudos
bardanes
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the quick response! I will try the instructions now and provide feedback.

0 Kudos
bardanes
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

It worked - thanks so much!

0 Kudos