VMware Cloud Community
SHJCHEN
Contributor
Contributor

planned power outage: shut down all hosts in a VSA cluster

i have a vsa cluster environment with 2 esxi hosts. a recent unplanned power outage has corrupted vsa cluster as vcenter is treating one of vsa as a vm instead of storage. i had a consultant coming in spending some time to repair it. he ended up removing all vms and rebuilding vsa cluster from scratch.

i'm having some planned power outages. i've posted the question in the community already but forgot to mention that my environment is a VSA cluster with 2 esxi hosts. vcenter(also a vm) is also installed on the same cluster.

the answer i got from this community:

1. Shut down the VMs
  2. Place the hosts in MAintenance mode
  3. Shut down the hosts
  4. Shut down vCenter (if vCenter is a vm you will need to connect to each host seperately and shut it down.)

the answer my consultant told me is:

1. shut down all VMs. DC will be the last VMs to shut down.

2. go to vcenter, select VSA manager to put VSA in maintenance mode.

3. logout of vcenter, log into slave host to shut it down

4. log into master host and shut down vcenter, then shut down the master host.

does it matter if i did maintenance mode on each individual hosts instead of vsa's maintenance mode?? what are the differences?? which way is better for my VSA cluster environment?

how long does it take to shut down the hosts as i tried to shut down the invidual hosts (already put hosts in maintenance mode) and when i go to the server room, they are still power on??

thanks!!

0 Kudos
0 Replies