VMware Cloud Community
joeboren
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VSphere Client Errors after upgrade to 4.1

Ever since i upgraded our infrastructure to 4.1 from 4.0, the Vsphere Client is throwing an error any time it is left open for an extended lengh of time. 

If I open up the client and let it sit for a few hours or overnight, I will come back to it and ther will be an error popup with the following details.

An internal error occurred in the vSphere Client.

Details: Not enopugh storage is available to process this command.

Contact VMware support if necessary.

Once this bug has occurred the Error Dialog cannot be dismissed, if you hit close, it just pops back up.  The Client is unaccessible after that point as the Error dialog has the focus and you can't touch the main window.  You have to kill the client from Taskmgr.   Then it will restart and run fine for some period.  Occasionally, hitting close on the error dialog will let you go back to the client, but most of the tabs don't work and clicking almost anything causes the error to pop up.  So it's not a show stopper, but it's a time wasting, irritating bug.  I've never seen the bug pop up while I was working on the Client so I don't know what's triggering it. 

The client is running on Windows 7 64bit, but I have confirmed identical behavior running the client on Server 2008 32bit.  I have not seen the error yet when the client is on Server 2003 32 bit, but I may not have left it open long enough for the error to present.  Attached are the log files that the "Report Error to VMware" dialog box wants to send in.  The client is attaching to a VCenter Server running 2008 64bit, not the ESXi Hosts.  The smallest attached datastore has over 40GB of free space. 

I don't have active support so the Report to VMware dialog suggest I post it here.  There doesn't seem to be a community specifically for the Client and this only started after the upgrade so I posted it to this Community.

Thanks,
Joe

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Damin
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I think I may have tracked it down to the Hardware Status tab. If I use the Hardware Status tab and leave it sitting there for a while, memory starts to get chewed up.

I opened an SR w/ Vmware, and they confirmed. Their words:

"After doing a webex and looking through our internal KBs I was lead to a bug and the KB and the bug both talk to the Hardware status page causing a memory leak to do with the CIMs and JAVA.  It look like this will be addressed in a future release, however it did not clearly tell what release they will address it in.  4.0U1 is due out in the near future.  30-90 days I think.  The workaround at this time is to not leave the vSphere Client open for long periods of time."

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
27 Replies
jeffdrol
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi, I got the same error with VCenter installed on a Windows 2008 64 bits server.

0 Kudos
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I assume that you have upgraded your vsphere client as well right?

0 Kudos
jeffdrol
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yes and I reinstalled the Vsphere client, tried to google the errors I found in the logs, but i found nothing so far.

I have plenty of disk space everywhere: datastores and Client desktop and Vcenter server.

Hope this thread will go somewhere.

thanks

0 Kudos
joeboren
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Good thought about versions, let me clarify.

Both Vcenter Server and client version are  4.1.0  258902, the current build.

ESXi version is 4.1.0  320137, and is completely patched to current thru the Update Manager

I updated both Server and client and host at the same time and twice since then I've updated the ESXi host from the vcenter client with the update manager plugin.  The last time i updated the host was 6 days ago and i installed a dell openmange VIB for the server it's installed on, specifically OM-SrvAdmin-Dell-Web-6.3.0-2075.VIB-ESX41i_A00.8.

None of the updates done on the host seem to have made any difference.  The error started happening immediately after updating everything from 4.0 to 4.1.   All the client installs I've done to test were the same 258902 build.  All datastores have a minimum of 40 GB free, the workstation has 50 GB free.

Thanks,

Joe

0 Kudos
jeffdrol
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I installed ESX version 4.1 from scratch, it is not an upgrade.

I also installed Vcenter 4.1 and the Vsphere client from scratch, no upgrade.

0 Kudos
coolspyder
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi ,

I'm getting the same error.

Clean install of ESXi 4.1.0 and Vcenter server 4.1.0 and  client 4.1

!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

How about a clean install on a workstation that has not had the vSphere client on it before.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos
coolspyder
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

well I did a Real  CLEAN install of everything on seperate physical servers.

Two   ESXi4.1 physical boxes

One vserver on a windows 2008 64 bit os.   Client is also on this box.

0 Kudos
jeffdrol
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The error is still there, I included my log file if it helps anyone...

0 Kudos
buckmaster
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Curious, did you ever get this resolved?  I've never had this issue until this morning.  Out of the blue all of a sudden here is the exact error you have.  In my scenerio mind was not an upgrade it was a clean install of 4.1.  I to have plenty of space on my VC VM where my client is running.

Tom Miller
0 Kudos
joeboren
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Strangely, I haven't had the error pop up in at least 2 weeks now.  As far as I'm able to tell the only thing that has changed is that I updated windows on all the machines before Christmas, the Vcenter server, the Client workstation, and all the other Guest VMs.  I don't believe I've had the error since then.  Possibly a Windows issue that was fixed by an update?  I don't know.  I've had the client open for almost a week straight now without errors.  I'll post back if I see it again, but it seems to have resolved somehow.  I really hate it when I don't know if the issue is fixed or if its's just hiding, waiting to pop up at the worst possible time.

Best,

Joe

0 Kudos
nkrishnan
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

0 Kudos
joeboren
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I double checked to make sure and none of the updates on either the server or client workstation were .NET related.  They were just the standard patch-tuesday batch for Dec, both machines were completely patched up  the previous month.  I usually do the MS updates a week or two after they are released unless there is a critical security issue that affects our environment. 

Thanks,

Joe

0 Kudos
pym
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello all!

I have the exact same issue on my Win2008R2 server however, I too did a clean install of ESXi4.1 & build 258902 of the client, but back in November. I am just starting to see this error, as well, never while working. My ESXi servers are all up to date, although one (in maintenance mode) has some physical DIMM issues which are recent. I can't see why this would affect the client interface though.

I did have to reboot the whole system once as I could not kill the processes in TaskManager.

KB976902 and KB2419640 were installed a little over a week ago.

I do have active support so I will open a ticket as soon as I find my logs (tried to create them, but I got another error).

Will update this post when I know anything.

0 Kudos
pym
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Just 1 question for all: Do you have more than one admin connected to your vCenter server/client at the same time?

0 Kudos
joeboren
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

That is an excellent question.  I'm not sure, it's possible.  Like i said earlier, I haven't had the error pop up for a while.  I'll try opening the client on several machines at once and leave them open and see if i can initiate the error again.  Thanks for the idea.

Best,

Joe

0 Kudos
pym
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks Joe!

Actually, what I meant was more whether or not you were already doing it at your site. This is also another recent variable in our environment. Since it doesn't look like it is the case for you, then it is unlikely a viable issue for us as well, but who knows.

It has happened twice in two days here, so maybe tomorrow.

Could you please also check what the memory usage on your system is at the time of the "semi-crash"? I have 12GB of RAM on this system (and it runs other apps as well though, with a couple of SQL DBs). Usually, I use 5-6GB but I have noticed using pretty much the totality of it during the crash.

0 Kudos
joeboren
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I may have actually been doing it when I was having the issue.  I generally admin from my workstation, but when i'm in the server room i just use my backup server, which sits doing nothing all day.  It's possible I had forgotten and left it open on the server for a long time while i was working from my workstation.  Anyway, i have them both open right now, so we'll see what happens.  If i get the error again, I'll check the memory usage.  If i remember correctly, I was running pretty close to full usage, when i was having the issue and it didn't seem like the usage climbed significantly, but then it was already nearly all used up.  I also upgraded the memory in the one of the host servers (I have 2 attached to VCenter) from 18 to 24 GB, so now it's running about 75% committed.  Haven't had the error since the memory upgrade, but I also haven't had the client running both places simultaneouly.  We'll see if I get anything now.

Cheers,

Joe

0 Kudos
Damin
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I am experiencing the exact same issue. When I bring up the Taskmanager and look at the memory usage for the VpxClient process, I see that it has consumed 1.5 Gigs of available memory.

To me, this smacks of a memory leak of some sort in the VC Client, because when I compare it to older VC Clients, they are only taking up 78 Megs of memory.

I'm going to open up an SR with Vmware and see what they have to say.

0 Kudos