VMware Cloud Community
joeboren
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VSphere Client Errors after upgrade to 4.1

Ever since i upgraded our infrastructure to 4.1 from 4.0, the Vsphere Client is throwing an error any time it is left open for an extended lengh of time. 

If I open up the client and let it sit for a few hours or overnight, I will come back to it and ther will be an error popup with the following details.

An internal error occurred in the vSphere Client.

Details: Not enopugh storage is available to process this command.

Contact VMware support if necessary.

Once this bug has occurred the Error Dialog cannot be dismissed, if you hit close, it just pops back up.  The Client is unaccessible after that point as the Error dialog has the focus and you can't touch the main window.  You have to kill the client from Taskmgr.   Then it will restart and run fine for some period.  Occasionally, hitting close on the error dialog will let you go back to the client, but most of the tabs don't work and clicking almost anything causes the error to pop up.  So it's not a show stopper, but it's a time wasting, irritating bug.  I've never seen the bug pop up while I was working on the Client so I don't know what's triggering it. 

The client is running on Windows 7 64bit, but I have confirmed identical behavior running the client on Server 2008 32bit.  I have not seen the error yet when the client is on Server 2003 32 bit, but I may not have left it open long enough for the error to present.  Attached are the log files that the "Report Error to VMware" dialog box wants to send in.  The client is attaching to a VCenter Server running 2008 64bit, not the ESXi Hosts.  The smallest attached datastore has over 40GB of free space. 

I don't have active support so the Report to VMware dialog suggest I post it here.  There doesn't seem to be a community specifically for the Client and this only started after the upgrade so I posted it to this Community.

Thanks,
Joe

0 Kudos
27 Replies
joeboren
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Well I left the client open on both the workstation and the Server over the weekend and no error either place.  I am now unable to reproduce the error at all apparently.  The only changes i made during the time were upgrading the memory in one host server, and doing windows updates on all the windows machines involved, Vcenter Server, both machines running the client.  It's been about a month since I've seen the error.

There are enough other people having the issue, i'm going to leave this thread unanswered for now.  Hopefully if someone with support opens a case on this issue and gets a resolution they will report the solution back here.

Thanks,

Joe

0 Kudos
Damin
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I think I may have tracked it down to the Hardware Status tab. If I use the Hardware Status tab and leave it sitting there for a while, memory starts to get chewed up.

I opened an SR w/ Vmware, and they confirmed. Their words:

"After doing a webex and looking through our internal KBs I was lead to a bug and the KB and the bug both talk to the Hardware status page causing a memory leak to do with the CIMs and JAVA.  It look like this will be addressed in a future release, however it did not clearly tell what release they will address it in.  4.0U1 is due out in the near future.  30-90 days I think.  The workaround at this time is to not leave the vSphere Client open for long periods of time."

0 Kudos
pym
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Oh boy!

This would indeed explain a few things. I did install the HP NMI drivers to report the host hardware status to vCentre a few weeks ago.

Thank you very much for this information Damin. I guess we'll wait until the next release. So VMware agrees that the issue is with vCentre and not the HP drivers?

0 Kudos
joeboren
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Brilliant, thank you for posting the response you got.  That does make sense, as I'm sure i had that tab up while i was prepping for the HW upgrade back when all this started for me. 

I doubt if it has anything to do with the HP drivers, I had all my problems on a Dell poweredge 2950.

Thanks Damin, I'm going to go ahead and mark this solved.

Best,

Joe

0 Kudos
Damin
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

The information they provided me was all that I got, but I am running on IBM hardware, and don't have any IBM specific Hardware Drivers loaded that I am aware of, so I don't think this is the HP drivers.

It would be interesting to see if other people have the same issues if they leave the Hardware Status tab open on stock installations. To be clear, this issue appears to be an issue w/ the Vsphere Client, not Virtual Center itself. So the issue shows up on the Client server running the Vsphere Client.

0 Kudos
pym
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

So this means that it should do the same on my PC if I run the client on my PC. I will try it and let you know.

0 Kudos
jboren
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

It took 3 days this time for me, but I can confirm just leaving the client open long enough on the Hardware Status tab will trigger the error.  I've got it both at my Win7 workstation and the 2003 server, and memory usage for the client both places has climbed to over 1.5 Gig. 

Looks like the workaround is don't leave it on the Hardware status tab for very long.

Cheers,

joe

0 Kudos
mp125
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Well, it may be the Hardware Status is the issue, but my vsphere client will crash without having that tab open. I always leave the client open and running on my vcenter server. Usually, it crashes now some day every week.

Definitely pointing to memory leak.

0 Kudos