VMware Cloud Community
asip
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Service VCSA 6.5 vs 7

Hello,

I have a vcenter 6.5 in production and i monitor this vmware services.

I setup a new vcenter in version 7.0 in order to test it.

But there some services which had changed / disapear ? :

In 6.5  :

"vmware-cm" = VMware_Component_Manager

"vmware-sts-idmd" = VMware_Identity_Management_Service

"vsphere-client" = VMware_Web_Client

I can't find this inforamtion cleary in the documenation, can you give some guidance ?

Regards.

Tags (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Lalegre
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

I think you won't find an specific documentation of what happened to those services but maybe this can clarify the things a little bit.

Component manager was responsible of lookup and services registrations and now on vCenter Server 7 we have VMware Lookup Service which is lookupsvc inside the appliance.

The vSphere Web Client service has been renamed and not if only provides the HTML5 Client as the Flash Client has been deprecated instead we have vSphere Client now which is HTML5  only and this is the name of the service vsphere-ui.

Finally the VMware Identity Manager services was responsible of the authentication for solutions but also users to be honest i could not find anything about that one but this document was launched for vSphere 7 as Platform Services Controller has been deprecated on this version: https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-vSphere/7.0/vsphere-esxi-vcenter-server-70-authentication-guide.pd...

Hope that helps you even it was not so specific.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Moderator: Thread moved to the vCenter Server area.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
Nawals
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hi,

Here is VMware kB VMware Knowledge Base about vCenter services in 7.0

NKS Please Mark Helpful/correct if my answer resolve your query.
0 Kudos
Lalegre
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

I think you won't find an specific documentation of what happened to those services but maybe this can clarify the things a little bit.

Component manager was responsible of lookup and services registrations and now on vCenter Server 7 we have VMware Lookup Service which is lookupsvc inside the appliance.

The vSphere Web Client service has been renamed and not if only provides the HTML5 Client as the Flash Client has been deprecated instead we have vSphere Client now which is HTML5  only and this is the name of the service vsphere-ui.

Finally the VMware Identity Manager services was responsible of the authentication for solutions but also users to be honest i could not find anything about that one but this document was launched for vSphere 7 as Platform Services Controller has been deprecated on this version: https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-vSphere/7.0/vsphere-esxi-vcenter-server-70-authentication-guide.pd...

Hope that helps you even it was not so specific.