I get the following error when accessing the Performance Overview tab

STATs Report service internal error

STATs Report Application initialization is not completed successfully

0 Kudos
44 Replies
mav1ms
Contributor
Contributor

We have run into the same problem and I tried every suggestion listed in this post with no success. I called my SQL guy to validate we were using the default SQL port (our vCenter Server and SQL server are two different servers), which we were. He brought up another issue we were having with certificates on the SQL server. I had been getting the following errors in the tomcat\logs\stats.log file:

+"org.jboss.resource.JBossResourceException: Could not create connection;

nested throwable: (com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerException:+

The driver could not establish a secure connection to SQL Server by

using Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) encryption. Error: The TDS protocol

stream is not valid..)"

After doing some quick research we found that we could either delete and disable the personal certificates on the SQL server (I am not a SQL guy so I don't fully know what that means). When we did this we were able to get the stats to work properly. This didn't seem quite right so I did a little more research and came across the following:

There is a bug in the 1.2 version of the JDBC driver which I guess is the default in Server 2003 SP2. Microsoft just released a new version which resolved the problem we had been experiencing. The new version is JDBC v2.0. You can get it from Microsoft's download site.

Upon completing the upgrade and rebooting my server I was able to get the stats to display properly. Hope this helps some.

0 Kudos
Dan_Plouffe
Contributor
Contributor

I was having the same issue however the way i fixed this is as follows:

1. Stop Web services

2. Uninstall plug in

3. Uninstall web services

4. reinstall web services

5. Stop web services again (this is different from the KB article i think and what fixed my issue)

6. Install plug in (If you leave services.msc open and refresh you should see it automatically starts after installing the plug in)

my 2% of $1.00

0 Kudos
AWarwick
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry but Windows does not need a restart for the environement variable to take effect. You only need to close any command windows and reopen them.

Regards

0 Kudos
Bob_Spencer
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for your post TWISTEDF8. The VI Web Server service on my VC server was using the Local System logon account. When installing the Performance Overview plug-in I used the same logon account as the one we use for the Virtual Center Server service to connect with the remote database server. I did so as part of troubleshooting an installation issue I had with the plug-in. Reading your post prompted me to change the VI Web Server service logon account to the same one used for the database connection. Once I restarted the service and restarted the VI Client, the Performance Overview reports loaded up beautifully. Once again the user community makes one giant leap over VMware support.

0 Kudos
mittma
Contributor
Contributor

Hi all,

I have the same problem: vCenter database on MSSQL 2005 on a different host using a non-standard port - error "[FATAL] com.vmware.vim.stats.webui.startup.VcDataSourceInitializer : Unable to open VC DataSource. Details: Cannot create PoolableConnectionFactory" can be found in log file <vCenter installation directory>\tomcat\logs\stats.log

I found the reason to be the different syntax for the ODBC connection string regarding portnumber:

SQL native client (which is used by the vCenter service) uses <database server name>,<portnumber>

jdbc mssql client (which is used by Tomcat/webAccess) needs <database server name>:<portnumber>

Too bad that both vCenter and webAccess use the same ODBC settings...

I can get both working: with a running vCenter service I edit the registry value "HKLM\ SOFTWARE\ODBC\ODBC.INI\VMware VirtualCenter(that's the name of my ODBC connection)\Server" and replace the comma with a colon. Then I restart the webAccess service and I am done: Performance overview chart is working. But now the vCenter service will not be able to start! But I can undo my chances in the registry to make the vCenter service happy again and the performance overview chart keeps working (until webAccess is restarted or needs a reconnect to the database...).

My conclusion: the performance overview chart looks nice, but I am not sure if it is worth the effort...

Best regards,

Martin

0 Kudos