STATs Report Application initialization is not completed successfully

0 Kudos
44 Replies
hardingp
Contributor
Contributor

Since then, I've also tried

http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1008330

Double checked my paths, restarted services/server still no luck.

0 Kudos
ITRI
Contributor
Contributor

I have tried the two kb, and with no luck. I still have the error message.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Are you using Oracle? If yes, check this out:

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=100832...

The Performance Overview Charts section of the release notes (http://www.vmware.com/support/vi3/doc/vi3_vc25u4_rel_notes.html) lists a bunch of KBs and other information that you can refer to.

Performance Overview Charts

• Performance Overview Charts Might Not Be Displayed If the VirtualCenter Server Uses Oracle Database (KB 1008328)

• Performance Overview Charts Might Not Be Displayed if the VirtualCenter Server Uses SQL Express Bun... (KB 1008329)

• Performance \\ Overview Charts Might Fail to Display if VirtualCenter Is Upgraded \\ Without Stopp... (KB 1008330)

• VirtualCenter Might Not Display Performance Overview Charts If JavaScript Execution Is Not Enabled in Internet Explorer
    Ensure that the Active scripting security setting is enabled in Internet Explorer. Otherwise the Performance Overview tab might display a message similar to the following:
    Scripts are usually safe. Do you want to allow scripts to run?
    To enable active scripting:

1. In the Internet Explorer browser, choose Tools > Internet Options

2. In the Security tab, select Internet zone, and click Custom level

3. For the Active scripting setting under Scripting, select Enable.

• Performance Overview Plug-In Might Not Be Displayed in the Installed Tab of the Plugin Manager Window
    After the Performance Overview plug-in is installed, it is displayed in the Available Tab but might not be displayed in the Installed tab.
    Workaround:Restart the VI Client. If the plug-in is still not displayed in the Installed tab, verify that the VirtualCenter Server system's domain is configured correctly.

• Clicking Download and Install for the Performance Overview Plug-In Results in an Error
    Even if the Performance Overview plug-in is installed, the Available tab in the Plugin Manager window provides a Download and Install button for the plug-in. If you click Download and Install, VirtualCenter displays an error message similar to the following:
    Invalid URI: The URI is empty.
    For the Performance Overview plug-in, do not click Download and Install.

• Performance Overview Tab Might Not Appear if the Performance Overview Plug-in Is Re-Installed
    If the Performance Overview plug-in is uninstalled and re-installed,
    the Performance Overview tab might not appear in the VirtualCenter
    Server unless you enable the plug-in in the Plugin Manager window. To
    enable the plug-in:

1. In the VirtualCenter Server, click Plugins > Manage Plugins.

2. In the Installed tab of the Plugin Manager window, select Enabled for com.vmware.vim.stats.report.

0 Kudos
ITRI
Contributor
Contributor

I am using MS-SQL2005

I found the solution. Run ‘svrnetcn.exe’, and Add TCP/IP back into the list of enabled protocols and reboot.

Re-install the Performance Overview plug-in:

In the command window goto to the folder vpx/perfCharts, the location where the Performance Overview plug-in is available.

If you are using the ZIP file, go to the bin\perfCharts folder.

Run uninstall.bat <VirtualCenter_Username> <VirtualCenter_Password>

Run install.bat <VirtualCenter_Username> <VirtualCenter_Password>

then the chart shows up.

Good Luck

0 Kudos
twistedf8
Contributor
Contributor

If you used a service account to during the install such as %domain%\svc_virtualcenter %password% you have to change the account used on the webAccess service to use the same account. I tried all the Support Articles and it wasn't until I did that it finially initialized.

0 Kudos
hardingp
Contributor
Contributor

svrnetcn.exe is not found on my system.

I am using the MSSQL 2005 that comes with vCenter

I have followed KB article 1008329,* ***with no luck

TCP/IP is enabled and listening for the SQLEXP_VIM DB in SQL Server Configuration Manager

restarted services, rebooted, still no luck

0 Kudos
skipbigelow
Contributor
Contributor

I'm also following the KB step by step and I'm getting the following:

when it trys to run step 2, stating that 'jar' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file. Setup has been terminated because the statsreport.war file could not be configured.

I've rerun it several times now but continue to get the same error.

0 Kudos
kennys0
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The 'jar' is not recognised error is what you get if the path doesn't correctly point at your JDK installation. I'd check the value of the PATH environment variable in a command shell i.e. echo %PATH% and look for your JDK "bin" directory being listed. Better still run

javac -version

from your command shell, it should output something like

C:\>javac -version

javac 1.6.0_11

0 Kudos
okeedokee
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Windows needs a restart for the environment variables to take effect.

Regards,

Obie Deyo

0 Kudos
michelemase
Contributor
Contributor

I found another error after the installation of the plugin.

The page complains that " Chart could not be loaded"

Tomcat logs "C:\Program Files\VMware\Infrastructure\VirtualCenter Server\tomcat\logs\stats.log" complains about missing fonts:

ERROR] org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.[Catalina].[localhost].[/statsreport].[StatsChartServlet] : Servlet.service() for servlet StatsChartServlet threw exception

java.lang.Error: Probable fatal error:No fonts found.

at sun.font.FontManager.getDefaultPhysicalFont(Unknown Source)

at sun.font.FontManager.initialiseDeferredFont(Unknown Source)

at sun.font.CompositeFont.doDeferredInitialisation(Unknown Source)

at sun.font.CompositeFont.getSlotFont(Unknown Source)

at sun.font.CompositeStrike.getStrikeForSlot(Unknown Source)

at sun.font.CompositeStrike.getFontMetrics(Unknown Source)

at sun.font.Font2D.getFontMetrics(Unknown Source)

at java.awt.Font.defaultLineMetrics(Unknown Source)

at java.awt.Font.getLineMetrics(Unknown Source)

at com.vmware.vim.stats.report.impl.cil.jfreechart.customization.DateTimeAxis.estimateMaximumTickLabelWidth(Unknown Source)

at com.vmware.vim.stats.report.impl.cil.jfreechart.customization.DateTimeAxis.refreshTicksHorizontal(Unknown Source)

at org.jfree.chart.axis.DateAxis.refreshTicks(DateAxis.java:1481)

at org.jfree.chart.axis.ValueAxis.reserveSpace(ValueAxis.java:788)

at org.jfree.chart.plot.XYPlot.calculateDomainAxisSpace(XYPlot.java:2567)

at org.jfree.chart.plot.XYPlot.calculateAxisSpace(XYPlot.java:2524)

at org.jfree.chart.plot.XYPlot.draw(XYPlot.java:2656)

at org.jfree.chart.JFreeChart.draw(JFreeChart.java:1222)

at org.jfree.chart.JFreeChart.createBufferedImage(JFreeChart.java:1396)

at org.jfree.chart.JFreeChart.createBufferedImage(JFreeChart.java:1376)

at org.jfree.chart.JFreeChart.createBufferedImage(JFreeChart.java:1361)

at com.vmware.vim.stats.report.impl.cil.jfreechart.JFreeChartImageLibrary.draw(Unknown Source)

at com.vmware.vim.stats.report.impl.cil.jfreechart.JFreeChartImageLibrary.draw(Unknown Source)

at com.vmware.vim.stats.report.cil.chartbean.BaseLineChart.draw(Unknown Source)

at com.vmware.vim.stats.report.impl.exporter.chart.ChartExporter.export(Unknown Source)

at com.vmware.vim.stats.webui.chart.StatsChartProcessor.exportReportToChartImage(Unknown Source)

at com.vmware.vim.stats.webui.chart.StatsChartProcessor.process(Unknown Source)

at com.vmware.vim.stats.webui.chart.StatsChartServlet.doGet(Unknown Source)

at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:627)

at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:729)

at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:269)

at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:188)

at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke(StandardWrapperValve.java:213)

at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invoke(StandardContextValve.java:172)

at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke(StandardHostValve.java:127)

at org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorReportValve.java:117)

at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngineValve.invoke(StandardEngineValve.java:108)

at org.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:174)

at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Processor.process(Http11Processor.java:875)

at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11BaseProtocol$Http11ConnectionHandler.processConnection(Http11BaseProtocol.java:665)

at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.PoolTcpEndpoint.processSocket(PoolTcpEndpoint.java:528)

at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.LeaderFollowerWorkerThread.runIt(LeaderFollowerWorkerThread.java:81)

at org.apache.tomcat.util.threads.ThreadPool$ControlRunnable.run(ThreadPool.java:689)

at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

The fonts are in "C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.6.0_12\jre\lib\fonts"

Any suggestion???

Regards Michele

0 Kudos
kennys0
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Michele,

My best guess would be that this is a locale issue. I wonder if you have a US English only verison of the JDK when the OS locale on your VC server makes Tomcat expect a Multi-language version?

Regards

Kenny

0 Kudos
michelemase
Contributor
Contributor

My locales are:

OS Windows 2003 English version

Java: jdk sun multi language version (from the sun's site)

Virtual Center: English Only version.

Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
kennys0
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

OK, thanks for checking. The Performance Overview docs do request the JDK 1.6u11 not u12, it seems unlikely but perhaps there is a hard coded path that is making it look in the wrong folder or if multiple JDKs are installed perhaps there is a mismatch between the environment variables and the version being used by Tomcat. A custom CLASSPATH perhaps? Perhaps you could roll back your JDK version and give it a go?

0 Kudos
michelemase
Contributor
Contributor

java6 u11: same result= "Chart could not be loaded"

Smiley Sad Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
kennys0
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

That's unfortunate. I take it that you receive the same error in the stats.log about fonts? I only ask in case you have resolved the fonts issue and the "Chart could not be loaded" is coming from some other issue. It's a long shot but maybe it is worth reinstalling the plugin using JDK 6u11? I've not worked out why we need a JDK rather than a JRE, I guess something is being compiled on demand or perhaps it is being compiled at install time.

0 Kudos
kennys0
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I take it you still have the font issue in the stats.log. The reason I ask is that perhaps that was a red herring and the "Chart could not be loaded" is caused by something else? Perhaps it is worth attempting to reinstall the plugin using JDK 6u11? I'm not sure why we need a JDK rather than JRE so perhaps something is compiled on demand or at install time? If the font issue is still there I'm not sure what else to suggest, perhaps running Sysinternal's Process Monitor filtering for Tomcat and looking to see if it goes near the font files when you start the WebAccess service or when you access the Performance Overview tab in the VI Client. I'll try looking on my VC server.

0 Kudos
michelemase
Contributor
Contributor

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=100833...

solved the issue ...

During the U4 update I forgot to stop tomcat services (VMware Infrastructure Web Access Service) and i got the error.

The kb says ... If VirtualCenter is upgraded when the

VMware Infrastructure Web Access Service is running, you (my comment: may because sometime it works) need to

reinstall the Virtual Infrastructure Web Access feature and re-install

the Performance Overview plug-in: ...

Unluckily it seems that google doesn't indexes vmware forum so no google search helped me and the tomcat logs were misleading.

it works with jdk6 u12 too.

Thanx 4 the support.

Michele

0 Kudos
tjuksa
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I can verify that this also got my config working.

Changed the account of the WebAccess Service to the correct "domain\username" and the correct password for the service account. So that the webaccess and perfoverview is running under the same "userenvironment" Smiley Happy

And voila, the Performance Overview starts with a smile Heart

Best of luck

0 Kudos
mikieminnow
Contributor
Contributor

Exactly what I had to do. Thanks!

0 Kudos