VMware Cloud Community
Pokiegogrzyba
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

HA Admission Control and DPM with clusters with 3 and 2 hosts

Hi everyone,

I have two clusters, first with 3 hosts and second with 2 hosts. And I have couple questions about enabling DPM:

1. In 3 hosts cluster HA/DRS I enabled Admission Control to Percentage of cluster resources reserved as failover spare cpacity to 33%. Because I don't have any VM on this cluster, when I enabled DPM it put 2 hosts to standby mode. And now when I want powered on any VM on this cluster I get error "The operation is not allowed in the current state". It's possible only when I disable Admission Control - but then I lose HA protection. So in 3 nodes cluster I should always have 2 powered on hosts when VMware HA strict admission control is enabled? It's possible only when in DPM options I disabled power management on 2 hosts. Am i right? And DPM will only put on/off my third host (for example brings host out of standby mode to maintain failover needs)?
  2. In 2 hosts cluster when I enable Admission Control (50%) I should disable DPM, because I need always have 2 powered on hosts?
Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Kaustubhambulka
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

1. HA/DRS + DPM you will  have only 1 host in stand by as HA need 2 host to be power ON.

2. No DPM in two node Cluster if HA is enabled.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Kaustubhambulka
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

1. HA/DRS + DPM you will  have only 1 host in stand by as HA need 2 host to be power ON.

2. No DPM in two node Cluster if HA is enabled.

0 Kudos