VMware Cloud Community
black_hyperic
Contributor
Contributor

Hyperic 3.0.2 agent high memory usage

Hi,
on my system I've seen that the hyperic agent uses a lot of memory; please look at ps output:

> ps aux | grep java
root 31927 0.0 6.6 499104 137508 ? Sl Mar19 1:26 /home/rackaid/hyperic-hq-agent-3.0.2/jre/bin/java -client -Dagent.propFile=agent.properties -Dorghyperic.hq.bizapp.agent.CommandsAPIInfo.camUpPort=56691 -Djava.security.auth.login.config=jaas.config -Xmx128m -Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true -classpath ./lib/AgentServer.jar:./lib/lather.jar:./pdk/lib/hq-product.jar:./pdk/lib/activation.jar:./pdk/lib/commons-beanutils.jar:./pdk/lib/hyperic-util.jar:./pdk/lib/log4j-12.14.jar:./pdk/lib/jakarta-oro-2.0.7.jar:./pdk/lib/tomcat-jk.jar:./pdk/lib/jdom_b8.jar:./pdk/lib/ant.jar:./pdk/lib/jxla.jar:./pdk/lib/commons-httpclient-2.0.jar:./pdk/lib/bcel-5.1.jar:./pdk/lib/junit.jar:./pdk/lib/snmp4j.jar:./pdk/lib/jsch-0.1.23.jar:./pdk/lib/commons-collections.jar:./pdk/lib/getopt.jar:./pdk/lib/commons-logging.jar:./pdk/lib/sigar.jar:./pdk/lib/dnsjava-2.0.3.jar: org.hyperic.hqagent.server.AgentDaemon

As you can see it uses about 137Mb of memory; I think it's too much for an agent like this. Moreover the jre is started with -Xmx128m

Can you tell me what can I do to reduce memory usage?

is it possible to start the JRE with less memory, eg, -Xmx32m ? Do I risk to have "Out of Memory" errors?

Thank you!

Message was edited by: black
0 Kudos
9 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Yes, it's safe to lower the -Xmx setting to something lower. With the Sun JRE it will not allocate all the heap space unless it's necessary. In my dev setup with the agent monitoring Tomcat, JBoss, Mac OSX and Postgres the agent only is using 5 MB of heap space.

As for the overall memory footprint, most of the memory is virtual and is shared with the system. My agent on OSX consumes about 48MB of real memory.

Admittedly this is still a still a pretty large number, but that's the tradeoff we had to make to allow us to manage the largest set of applications.

Depending on what you are trying to monitor, it's also possible to run the agent on a different machine and do the checks remotely. This limits our ability to autodiscover the applications and narrows the depth of metrics we can collect, but it's an option.

Hope that helps,
-Ryan
0 Kudos
black_hyperic
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Ryan,
Thank you for your reply.

Now the agent is started with -Xmx8m and on my centos4.4 with ps I see it consumes about 77Mb (it's quite a lot and larger then your 48mb). I understand that the differece is in library and virtual memory

Have you any idea on how to further lower my 77Mb ?

Thank you again,
Black
0 Kudos
laullon
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

you can try to delete all plugin aren't used

Message was edited by: laullon
0 Kudos
black_hyperic
Contributor
Contributor

is there some easy way to know which plugins are not used?

I'm a newbie of Hyperic 😐

thank you,
Black
0 Kudos
laullon
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

you can get the list of plugins installed in the {install_dir}/pdk/plugins/ and then only you need delete the jars file of product you don
'
t use

On 3/23/07,
black
<hq-users@hyperic.org> wrote:

is there some easy way to know which plugins are not used?

I
'
m a newbie of Hyperic 😐

thank you,
Black

--
-------------------------------------------------------

Germán Laullón
http://www.laullon.com

0 Kudos
meharo
Contributor
Contributor

hi,

I am also facing the same memory issue. In my system java is configured to use max memory up to 512 MB.

Here is the output from ‘ps -aux’

hyperhq 3106 0.0 25.7 862556 264316 ? Sl 19:51 0:00 /home/hyperhq/server-3.0.5/jre/bin/java -Xmx512m -server -Dprogram.name=hq-server -Dserver.hom

java is using 25% of my total 1GB RAM.

So how can I reduce this max memory limit? Which configuration file I need to edit?

Details of Hyperic HQ server is as follows

Server Platform : Redhat EL 4
Hyperic HQ Server Ver. : 3.0.5 (free version, Linux x86 binary I downloaded and installed)
Java used : Built-in
Tomcat used : Built-in
Database used : Built-in Postgresql

Also here I have some more doubts, its now one of our main issue.

Our monitoring server and some of the agents are in different time zones, so its giving a gap in the indicator graph corresponding to the difference in time. Can we fix this? Can Hyperic Hq understand different time zones? Otherwise what is the solution? Currently Hardware Clock is not set to UTC on server and agents.

Thanks,
Meharo M. Nediakala
0 Kudos
meharo
Contributor
Contributor

Can anybody answer this??
I need it urgently. There is nothing regarding these issues inside users forum.
0 Kudos
staceyeschneide
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Unfortunately, I don't have an answer for you, more of a suggestion. If the need is really urgent, I suggest you call 1-888-4hyperic and talk to sales about arranging for a support agreement for the open source version. Its a very discounted price compared to enterprise (part of that price is the enterprise features) and a sure way to ensure that your questions are answered quickly when your business depends on them. The forums are great, and usually extremely helpful, but there is no service level agreement here.
0 Kudos
JohnMarkOrg
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi,

I would not advise lowering the amount of memory allocated for the server - it's needed, and you'll run into out-of-memory errors if you lower it.

If you want info on timezones and the like, I suggest you post another question, state the facts of your observations, and hope that someone has come across a similar issue.

As has been pointed out, the forums, depending on who's hanging out here at the time, may or may not be the place for urgent, time-critical requests 🙂

-John Mark
Community Manager
0 Kudos