VMware Cloud Community
Sangokan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

flat disk file but no snapshot

Hi

I have a linux virtual server running on esx 3.02 U1

It has a 8Gb disk called proquest.vmdk but that disk file is 365 K big, there is another file called proquest-flat.vmdk around 8 Gb big. When i go to the snapshot manager i cannot see any snapshot...How can i do to get only one file for that server. I want to grow the disk size of this server but when i use the vmkfstools -X command with proquest.vmdk it says that the argument is invalid.

Thank you

0 Kudos
5 Replies
raadek
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

It's *-flat.vmdk file which actually keeps your virtual disk content.

Rgds.

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

When you run the vmkfstools command to expand the virtual disk, it will actually run on the -flat.vmdk file. But you'll always specific the .vmdk file. When you extend a vmdk file, you'll want to specify the final size of the vmdk not the amount by which you want to expand it by. That can cause the error you have received. So if the vmdk is 8 GB and you want to go to 15, then the command will be

• vmkfstools -X 15G proquest.vmdk*

You can also get the error if the VM was migrated from an earlier version of ESX and you have not upgraded the virtual hardware for the VM.

Sangokan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Ok i was confused with the flat file, now i got it.

This is the error i get

# vmkfstools -X 20g /vmfs/volumes/LUN0/proquest/proquest.vmdk

Failed to extend disk : One of the parameters supplied is invalid. (1)

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

The directory image you attached to your first post shows a swap file for the vm (vswp). Do you have the VM powered down when you run the command?

0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership

if you want to extend your disk, shutdown the vm first.

Duncan

My virtualisation blog:

0 Kudos