VMware Cloud Community
dannyger97
Contributor
Contributor

VSAN Datastore empty

Hello,

We are in our exams and we are building a complete environment. We made a vsan datastore and a cluster. All vm's are lost and the datastore is completely empty. I really need some help and will answers questions as soon as possible. This is for my end presentation to do a demo of the complete environment.

https://gyazo.com/350b8421bd6d49c82848c25dfe382977

Gyazo - 09b82b5fa7acf7067405f99569f23566.png

4 Replies
zdickinson
Expert
Expert

Good afternoon, That doesn't sound good.  Can you provide more information?  Number of hosts, networking, disk group configuration, etc...  And what happened?  What does the vCenter web client show for vsan status?  Disk group status?  Thank you, Zach.

0 Kudos
dannyger97
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry for the short info. We are in quite a hurry and stress.

Hosts: 3

Networking: 100 mbit mgmt traffic & 1 gbit backbone for vsan traffic and vmotion.

Disk group : 1 ssd and 1 sshd per host

We were just busy making the presentation and light server management and then we had no connection to a server. vCenter was down in our cluster and all VM's were inaccessible. Then we rebooted all the hosts and all vm names changed to in the screenshot.

What we think is that the vsandatastore was full and then crashed. All the smart checks and disk block check turn out good so we think no disk failure.

Thankyou very much for helping.

0 Kudos
zdickinson
Expert
Expert

What was the usage at before the crash?  It is advised to never go above 80% usage for the datastore and each capacity drive should never be more than 80% full.  This sounds like it would be a support call, but I'm guessing you don't have support.  Perhaps a kind VMware employee on the forum would be willing to open a pro-bono case on your behalf.

Can you just do it over again?  I'm not sure the scope of your project, but most of the work should still be done.  Might be trivial to wipe the disks, re-claim them, and start fresh.

Thank you, Zach.

0 Kudos
jb_bhs
Contributor
Contributor

What fault tolerance level were you using for your VMs?  Did you have any disks go into permanent failure?

0 Kudos