VMware Communities
duri
Contributor
Contributor

cannot access network

Hi,

First, I'm pretty much a newbie to VM Workstation.

Now, my problem is as follows. I've created a virtual machine and that works great. I could access the host computer via the network to map a network drive. Now, suddenly that doesn't work anymore. I probably changed something but I tried all I know and I can't get access to my network-drives anymore.

Can anyone help me please ?

Regards,

Arthur

0 Kudos
6 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

First, I'm pretty much a newbie to VM Workstation.

That does not count as an excuse Smiley Wink

To be able to help I need more information about your setup.

Which operating systems so you use (host, guest)?

How did you map the drives? Via "net use" or through "shared folders"?

How did you configure the network in the virtual machine? (Host-Only, NAT or Bridged)

André

0 Kudos
duri
Contributor
Contributor

I'm running Windows 7 on my laptop. On the VM I run Windows 7 as well.

I created a network mapping via Windows Explorer. That worked a couple of days ago. Shared folders still work, but I cannot create a drive letter that way. Or can I ?

The network adapter is configured as Bridged.

Arthur

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Or can I ?

Yes, you can! At least on my WinXP VM this works. Here is an example of a folder I shared using the name "temp"

net use * "\\vmware-host\Shared Folders\temp"

Not sure about the Bridged networking issue though. Did anything cahnge? New updates, Firewall settings, AV, networking, ...

André

duri
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks Andre,

That net use command works indeed. I will try to solve my network-problem tomorrow. Thanks for your help.

Regards,

Arthur

0 Kudos
duri
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Andre,

Well, I probably changed the network settings myself. Now i changed it (back) to NAT and it works again.

Thanks for your responses.

Regards,

Arthur

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Good to here it's working.

Going through a couple of discussions shows that there might be an issue - not sure what causes it though  - with accessing a Windows 7 host from a Windows 7 guest when bridged networking is used.

André

0 Kudos