VMware Communities
hope75
Contributor
Contributor

Workstation 8: Sidewinder USB not working in Windows 9x guest

Hello!

I have upgraded to Workstation 8 a while ago and now I noticed my MS Sidewinder Precision Pro USB joystick does not work anymore in my virtual Windows 98 SE legacy machine. It is shown with a yellow exclamation mark and a code 10 error in the device manager. It used to work well with Workstation 6 to 7 and still does with 8 and Windows XP as guest os (and Windows 7 64bit as host os).

What I have tried so far:

Tried Workstation version 8.0.0, 8.0.3, 8.0.4 and the current technology preview version. Tried fresh guest os installations with virtual hardware compatibility set to 6 and 8 with USB 2.0 support enabled and disabled. Installed Windows ME as guest os with the same result as with Windows 98 SE. Connected the joystick via a USB1.1 hub and a USB2.0 hub. And finally tried the usb.quirks settings described in http://kb.vmware.com/kb/774

Any suggestions I could try to get my Sidewinder working again in a virtual Windows 9x other than reverting back to Workstation 7?

Thanks,

hope

0 Kudos
1 Reply
hope75
Contributor
Contributor

I still haven't found a solution to my problem. It seems VMware 9 doesn't solve this issue as I tried VMware Player 5.0.2 with the same result as above. So I think my Sidewinder will probably stay incompatible to any future VMware Release.

Does anybody know another USB flightstick that definately works in a Windows 9x guest os under Workstation 8 or later?

0 Kudos