VMware Communities
tWiZzLeR
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Windows Vista RC2 (build 5744) Released

Has anyone tried to install/upgrade to Vista RC2 yet?

BTW - It's available from Microsoft here: http://download.windowsvista.com/preview/rc2/en/download.htm

0 Kudos
47 Replies
klantomo
Contributor
Contributor

I just tried to install Vista RC2 on VMware Workstation. The problem with the graphics adapter is fixed. But now Vista setup is complaining that it can't find the device driver for the DVD drive. This is really funny, isn't it? Does anyone know how to fix this?

0 Kudos
pmccrackan
Contributor
Contributor

I have just installed it, I still have the problem with the clock running near twice as fast as it should be (maybe because I have a dual processor, or is it because my host is 64 bit and I am running a 32 bit Vista!) and also the USB problem is still there, where I get an error message after shut down is nearly finished,then it restarts by itself, fixed by disabling USB on the virtual machine.

Aside from those problems, it seems quite good.

Cheers from Peter.

0 Kudos
BenjyKid
Contributor
Contributor

Here's a workaround for the CD driver problem:

1. Add a 2nd CD-ROM drive to the VM

2. When Vista complains about the missing driver, load the Vista ISO image again into the 2nd CD-ROM

0 Kudos
klantomo
Contributor
Contributor

Hey, that really works. Thanks!

0 Kudos
scorp508
Contributor
Contributor

Here's a workaround for the CD driver problem:

1. Add a 2nd CD-ROM drive to the VM

2. When Vista complains about the missing driver,

load the Vista ISO image again into the 2nd CD-ROM

What order are you doing this in? I can't seem to get it to work.

When it prompts me with the error I then "connect" the 2nd CD-ROM using the Vista ISO, hit ok, hit Rescan, then get the error again.

Thanks. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
dmair
Champion
Champion

It's very, very improbable that running 32 bit Vista in a VM on a 64 bit host will have any effect whatsoever on the clock. IOW, that 64 versus 32 bits looks like a 2:1 ratio and the clock goes twice as fast is a coincidence.

0 Kudos
nickda
Contributor
Contributor

1. Create 2 drives 1 attached to real CD/DVD, 1 attached to ISO

2. Boot

3. When it complains change real drive to ISO

Works for me with x64 build of RC2

0 Kudos
whug
Contributor
Contributor

I installed VM5.5.2 on Vista RC2 host, and the disk thrashing is still there. Perhaps this will be addressed in a later VMWare update.

But the main issue I'm having now is with the random BSODs when suspending a vm.

0 Kudos
Mycroft1888
Contributor
Contributor

Interesting development. I tried the "experimental" audio driver for my Vista RC2 x64 guest (under WinXP32 host) and discovered that Vistal refuses to install \*any* unsigned hardware drivers.

0 Kudos
deanparkr
Contributor
Contributor

Ive managed to get it installed. But now there's no CD/ROM drive drivers in Vista. The error looks like this:

<a href="http://photobucket.com/" target="_blank">!http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v79/deanparkr/vista_cd.jpg|alt=Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting|src=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v79/deanparkr/vista_cd.jpg|border=0!</a>

Code 10 in Device manager.

Anybody else got this?

0 Kudos
Mycroft1888
Contributor
Contributor

Yep. Probably for the same reason the audio drivers don't work (unsigned). Fortunately, my non-virtual Sony DVD drive works ok.

Now that RC2 is out, I was hoping to begin using Vista as my working OS. But until they come out with a supported Vista host for VMware WS, I guess that's not going to happen. Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
BenjyKid
Contributor
Contributor

You can get the audio driver from Windows Update. If you need to use the CD-ROM, connect the Virtual CD-ROM drive to your physical CD-ROM drive while Vista is booting. Once Vista has detected the drive, you can use ISO images, too.

0 Kudos
FrenchyLeFavor
Contributor
Contributor

I have no problems with the latest release right up to the point of "Windows is loading files.......". After the tracking bar goes all the way to the right, NOTHING ELSE HAPPENS! I have tried this several times with the same results.

I am running the install from the vista DVD (not the ISO) and there seems to be no problem reading the drive and the disk seems fine when I have started the install (but not finished it) on my base (non-VMware) system.

Any thoughts on where I'm going wrong? Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
PayableOnDeath
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I got that too, i installed XP then installed vista over the top but when it rebooted it just comes up with black screen, i read that i sometimes it hangs for like 5mins then loads up, i left it running for about an hour and still stayed on the blank screen

any ideas

0 Kudos
appstream
Contributor
Contributor

i used "Alcohol" and mounted the vista iso image. then in vmware, i set the alcohol virtual cd drive and everything worked with no switching of anything.

0 Kudos
jefmes
Contributor
Contributor

\- quote

Ive managed to get it installed. But now there's no

CD/ROM drive drivers in Vista. The error looks like

this:

Code 10 in Device manager.

Anybody else got this?

\- end quote -

After having to do the 2nd CD-ROM work-around, Vista installed for me - but now I'm getting that same message too. More annoyingly, the network interfaces didn't install, and it doesn't want to see my physical CD-ROM at all (seems to be because of this message).

Anyone else have some more advice?

0 Kudos
pcvr
Contributor
Contributor

The CD-Rom problem is really easy to work around: make sure your Virtual Machine running Vista boots up with the physical[/i] CD-Rom drive connected. Vista detects your physical hardware and installs the correct (and working) driver. After that, you can use your virtual CD-Rom device as before, even with ISO images. This way it is also possible to install VMware Tools, etc.

Also the Network interface problem is really easy to work around. Just change the emulated NIC to Intel e1000. Shut down your Vista VM and exit your VMware product or unload your virtual machine, depending on the VMware product you use. Then edit the .VMX file. Locate the line 'ethernet0.present'. Add a new line just below: ethernet0.virtualDev = "e1000". That's all. Boot your Vista VM and it should come up with a new driver installation for the Intel e1000 NIC.

0 Kudos
hullt
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I was also hanging at "loading windows files" but this fixed that issue,

With the VM powered off, add the following lines to the virtual machine .vmx file

svga.maxHeight = 480

svga.maxWidth = 640

0 Kudos
psmak4
Contributor
Contributor

1. Create 2 drives 1 attached to real CD/DVD, 1

attached to ISO

2. Boot

3. When it complains change real drive to ISO

Works for me with x64 build of RC2

This isn't working for me. I'm running VMWare Server 1.0.1 on a laptop that doesn't have a built in cd/dvd rom. I have an external one that connects via usb. When I try to attache a real cd/dvd drive to the it, it's not in the list of available drives, the only option there is "auto detect". I can mount the iso image to the other drive and that starts the Vista installation. I get asked for drivers, point it to the (Boot)X:\Windows\system32\drivers but that doesn't work. Anymore ideas?

0 Kudos