VMware Communities
d_lock
Contributor
Contributor

Unable to successfully enter valid serial number in VMWare workstation.

I have been using VMWare workstation the last couple of years. I think it is a great product that has completely transformed my task of developing software packages for distribution in our company.

I recently got a new PC and installed VMWare Workstation with no problems. However when I came to enter my serial number I get the message

"No licenses matching this serial number were found".

I know the serial number is valid, if I change it slightly I get the message

"Invalid serial number".

I initially tried installing VM Workstation v5.5.3-34685, and then v5.0.0-13124. Both with the same result.

Has anyone else experienced this or have any ideas why I might be getting this error ?

Thanks for your help,

0 Kudos
8 Replies
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

Basic question - is the serial number for the proper host OS family (Windows serials are different than Linux serials)?

0 Kudos
KevinG
Immortal
Immortal

Hi d_lock,

What is your host OS?

0 Kudos
d_lock
Contributor
Contributor

Host OS is Windows XP.

0 Kudos
firefly2007
Contributor
Contributor

I'm having the same problem. Tried the install cleanup utility, to no avail.

After entering a serial # & being told "No licenses...", now th "Enter Serial Number" option is grayed out.

0 Kudos
KevinG
Immortal
Immortal

What exact version of VMware Workstation do you have installed?

The license key must be for the type of platform that you are using. For example a Windows license key will not work on a Linux host and the other way around.

Also a WS 5 license key will not work with WS 6

Also make sure that you are using 0 (zero) and not the letter O

If you want you can send me a private message with your license key and I can check if it's valid.

Do NOT post your license key here in the forums.

0 Kudos
KevinG
Immortal
Immortal

Hi firefly2007,

You should have crated your own posting and provided the following information.

What exact version of VMware Workstation?

Also what is your host OS?

0 Kudos
firefly2007
Contributor
Contributor

\- Sorry; didn't realize I was violating protocol by replying instead of creating a new post

\- My host OS is Windows Vista, Home Premium

\- I made a mistake reporting my VM version. I"m running

VMware Server Console

Version 1.0.2 build-39867

\- What I'd like to do is setup a VM running Red Hat Linux, and a VM running Windows XP.

0 Kudos
d_lock
Contributor
Contributor

Although pretty much everything else is working on my machine, I am also experiencing problems with Adobe Acrobat 8. My colleagues have very similar setups and are not having this problem so I plan to go ahead and rebuild the machine. I am assuming that the installation of some other software has led to this problem, but I have not been able to identify which. To clarify, this is VM Workstation running on XP host, with the correct license key.

0 Kudos