VMware Communities
tspitzer
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

This host does not support Intel VT -x (redux)

I've seen this problem discussed here and elsewhere, but none of the solutions posed have solved it for me.

I went away for a month. Before I left VMWare VMs were starting and running just fine. I came back the other day, and today for the first time tried to start my VMWare WKS 15.5.6 build 16341506 on Windows 10 version 20H2.

When I try to start a VM it displays the "This host does not support Intel VT -x " etc dialogue.

Checked the BIOS, verified that Intel VT -x is indeed enabled (its an old Lenovo workstation, a D20).

Made sure that Hyper V and other Windows virtualization utilities were not enabled.

Uninstalled Windows Subsystem for Linux entirely.

There have been no silent Windows updates except for a Security Update for Microsoft Office 2020 64 bit that was silent and was applied today.

Still no joy, whenever I try to start a VM I get that "host does not support Intel VT -x" dialogue.

Anybody have ideas on where else to look? its possible that there was an anti-virus update (I use eSet) I wonder if that could have done it? I've "paused protection" and nothing changed with VMWare.

The other thing that has changed from a month ago is that I am on a wireless network whereas I used to be on a wired (different) network (i.e. I moved my office). Don't know why that would affect it, or generate that error. FWIW, I've disabled all network adapters except for the two VMNet adapters that appear in the Virtual Netowrk Editor.

thanks,

Tom Spitzer

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
tspitzer
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

After futzing for a couple more hours, I resolved this. Not sure it was turning off Windows virtualization or enabling TPM in BIOS settings. Anyway VMs are running now.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
tspitzer
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

After futzing for a couple more hours, I resolved this. Not sure it was turning off Windows virtualization or enabling TPM in BIOS settings. Anyway VMs are running now.

0 Kudos