VMware Communities
jjs3834
Contributor
Contributor

Looking for presales advice

Hello.

I have a Windows 7 Pro 64b installation on one laptop (standard hard drive) which I want to run on my windows 10 pro 64b (solid state drive).

Can someone recommend the best way to do this?  At my last job, my boss forced me to run a windows 7  VM, so I think WMWare should be the solution and I tried it but I do not know how to create the .iso file of my windows 7 machine.  Any suggestions?  Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
3 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

You need a virtual disk of your Windows 7 system, not an ISO.

Can you still boot the Windows 7 OS at the moment? If so, VMware Converter Standalone should be able to create you a VM (including virtual disk) which you could then run on VMware Workstation.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
jjs3834
Contributor
Contributor

scott28tt,

thanks for the response.  I had assumed i needed an .ISO file as when I ran the VM workstation, it asked for an .ISO file.

yes the W7 OS does start up, but it is just so sloooooow compared to my W10 SSD.

Just for clarification, when you say "VMware Converter Standalone", are you referring to this: vCenter Converter: P2V Virtual Machine Converter | VMware?

Again, thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Workstation might have asked you for an ISO to INSTALL Windows (to a virtual disk) but not to RUN Windows.

VMs can’t write to ISO files so even if you did boot a VM from it’s CD drive connected to an ISO that would not be the way to RUN Windows.

Yes, that is the Converter I meant.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos