VMware Communities
jaimea
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

No way unity / copy paste / drag and drop / Workstation pro 12.5 Windows 7 guest 7 host

Hello,

after trying for a looong time, I'm frustrated. My workstation works fine with several OSs (W7 64, W10, Ubuntu...), but with my workhorse which is a old VM with W7 32b, I'm unable to make Unity, or drag and drop (or copy and paste) work.

Drag and drop operations always show the forbidden icon.

Copy (in host) does not enable the paste option (in guest) - or vice versa.

Trying to activate Unity causes some funny messages, most usual "The guest operating system is not running VMware tools" (it is) but even "The guest operating system does not support unity".

I've tried everything I've thought or found around - from cloning the VM to running VMware as administrator, disabling / enabling guest isolation, reinstalling the VMware tools, tweaking the vmx file...

At this point I'll very much welcome any suggestion.

Thank you,

jaime

34 Replies
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

Are you sure this is the correct log file?

I can see a resume at 12:00:25 on 2017-01-05

vmware tools waves hello at 12:00:30,

then a suspend at 12:00:50 and the log ends at 12:00:52

but no reboot of the guest OS..

So I think this log is the wrong one,

A resume,  uninstall vmware tools and reboot of the guest OS within 27 seconds is very fast.. unless I'm missing something.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
jaimea
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello,

It should be, but no worries, I'll shutdown, clean the log file and start from afresh, as soon as I can.

Best regards,

jaime

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Jaime,

My best guess is that it was in the vmware.log file not in the vmware-0.log one, but I might be wrong.

Just attach all .log files from your vm next time, it is better to have too much info when troubleshooting as not enough.

Noting down the time when you boot the VM into the unbootable state might help too in tracking down where it happens in the logs.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
0 Kudos
jaimea
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Ok, hopefully I did my homework this time:

so, I removed an older snapshot, and then, at:

12:15 I took a snapshop

12:17 I uninstalled vmware tools, took 2 minutes

12:19 reboot

12:19 BSOD

12:20 I mapped disk to local to check if there was a memory dump

than I copied the vmware.log file (attached) only log file with today's date, so should be complete.

What can I say, thank you!

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Jaime,

and thank you for the write up on the time. That was really helpful!

There's not much details in the log about the crash, however when looking at it I see this:

2017-01-09T12:19:50.655+01:00| vcpu-3| I125: PCIBridge4: ISA/VGA decoding enabled (ctrl 0004)

2017-01-09T12:19:51.775+01:00| svga| I125: SVGA disabling SVGA

2017-01-09T12:19:51.853+01:00| svga| W115: WinBSOD: (28) 'Beginning dump of physical memory.                                              '

and then more details about crash dump saving to disk.

What is interesting here is that the SVGA gets disabled before the BSOD hinting strongly that it is an issue with the display driver.

In your config it has this line:

svga.vramSize = "134217728"

and then a bit later in the normal boot with vmware tools I see this:

2017-01-09T10:11:05.390+01:00| vmx| I125: SVGA: Maximum display topology 4480x1920.

2017-01-09T10:11:05.390+01:00| vmx| I125: Ignoring svga.vramSize value in config file because svga.autoDetect is enabled.

2017-01-09T10:11:05.390+01:00| vmx| I125: Increasing vramSize to 8388608 (configured size 4194304 too small)

2017-01-09T10:11:05.390+01:00| vmx| I125: SVGA-GFB: Initial gfbSize=8388608

The interesting part about that is that you didn't set it to 4194304...

My guess here is that the vramSize as set there is too large or that the non vmware tools svga driver gets confused by dual screens, but that's only a guess.

I compared with a Windows 7 VM I have and there's no vramSize setting in there. But I also admit that I am just running one screen.

In your case I would shut down the VM, make a copy of the vmx and then remove the lines:

svga.numDisplays = "2"

svga.maxWidth = "5120"

svga.maxHeight = "3200"

svga.vramSize = "134217728"

Boot the VM, uninstall VMware Tools ... reboot (hopefully) and reinstall VMware Tools, then set the configuration again for the 2 displays using VMware workstation (not by editing the vmx manually)

--

Wil

0 Kudos
jaimea
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Wila,

man that gave me hope... unfortunately no difference :-(, same BSOD.

I did as instructed, after it failed I went on and removed a few more lines (svga related) from the vmx file.

A bit unsettling that the 2 screen, max width etc settings are in the file and playing any role when they are grayed out in the workstation configuration - it is the "use host settings" the option that is active.

Whatever, same result. I'm back at my VM with the stripped down vmx file and so happy. No cut and paste, no unity (I rechecked just in case).

I'm attaching the new log file - feel free to ignore at any point, you help has been already ... a lot.

Snapshot at 19:15

VMware tools uninstall at 19:17

Reboot at 19:19, then BSOD

Tried startup repair, up to 19:34, failed.

Copied the log file at that moment, then tried with the removal of a few more lines, no difference at all.

All the best,

Jaime.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

There's more roads that lead to Rome and I'm not often willing to give up. Smiley Happy

As we are in "remove non standard lines from the .vmx" mode already, how about removing these two lines:

acpi.smbiosVersion2.7 = "FALSE"

acpi.mouseVMW0003 = "FALSE"

Especially the first line I cannot find any info on what it does (well I can guess) and the only  thing I see is crash related when searching for it.

The line with the mouse is probably fine.

Then you tried a vmware tools repair.. and it failed. But what did it fail on?

There's a log, vminstxxxx.log in the temp folder (see: Troubleshooting a failed VMware Tools installation in a Guest Operating System (1003908) | VMware KB )

Please attach.

Finally.. the copy&paste failing is usually to do with the vmtoolsd daemon not running (for whatever reason).

I do see that on one of my VMs every now and then and in that case instead of restarting the VM I first kill the vmtoolsd process that runs under my own user and then run a little batch file.

It has this contents:

"C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware Tools\vmtoolsd.exe" -n vmusr

It gets stuck on running.. which is fine (you can kill the stuck dos screen ) there should again be a vmtoolsd process running under your user account.

In my case I always get copy&paste back after that workaround.

I'm not sure if it helps with unity.

--

Wil

0 Kudos
dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Random educational tidbits:

As we are in "remove non standard lines from the .vmx" mode already, how about removing these two lines:

1. acpi.smbiosVersion2.7 = "FALSE"
  2. acpi.mouseVMW0003 = "FALSE"

Especially the first line I cannot find any info on what it does (well I can guess) and the only  thing I see is crash related when searching for it.

The line with the mouse is probably fine.

New virtual machines created with HWv12 will provide SMBIOS data to the OS in the format of SMBIOS version 2.7, which primarily increases the maximum describable memory capacity; HWv11 and older use SMBIOS 2.4 for BIOS and SMBIOS 2.6 for EFI firmware.  "acpi.smbiosVersion2.7 = FALSE" is automatically added during an upgrade from a virtual hardware version prior to 12, so that the guest OS doesn't get confused by a sudden change in SMBIOS table revision.

Microsoft asked us to change one aspect of the way our firmware describes our virtual PS/2 mouse controller to the OS, since we were using a somewhat unconventional way of doing so.  Again, new VMs created with virtual hardware version 12 and newer will use this new method by default, and the "acpi.mouseVMW0003 = FALSE" option is added during an upgrade from older hardware versions in order to preserve the existing behavior -- otherwise some Windows guest OSes might somewhat confusingly start asking for drivers for the new PS/2 controller hardware after the hardware version upgrade...

Earlier in this thread:

1. 2017-01-09T12:19:51.775+01:00| svga| I125: SVGA disabling SVGA
  2. 2017-01-09T12:19:51.853+01:00| svga| W115: WinBSOD: (28) 'Beginning dump of physical memory.

The "disabling SVGA" exists because older versions of Windows displayed the BSOD data using regular VGA mode, which means that the guest OS must disable our SVGA support and switch back to regular non-super VGA.  It's perfectly normal for this to appear immediately prior to a guest BSOD and does not (necessarily!) indicate an actual problem with SVGA.  (It can also happen due to a failure in our SVGA emulation or driver too, of course!  But the "disabling SVGA" message, in the context of a BSOD, is not in itself evidence of an SVGA problem.)

Cheers,

--

Darius

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Darius,

Thanks for the tips always nice to learn a bit more.

For Jaime it means not having to remove the lines and spent time on trying as they are expected.

Do you have additional tips for Jaime to try and/or troubleshoot?

--

Wil

0 Kudos
jaimea
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you Wila, Darius,

being headstrong is an asset in my job (mostly a programmer) I can see we share this!

I actually realized long ago I'd invested way more time trying to solve this that I'd spent in migrating all my software to a new VM - but I can't stop trying.

In any case, some advances, finally and first time ever!!

The vmtoolsd process was running, I killed it. Tried to launch it from my user with no luck, but it worked from an elevated cmd. Now I can drag&drop from the host - which is actually really useful to me - but with two "fun" nuisances:

- I can only drop in my main screen (I have 3 screens - one's the host, I drag something from there and the drop is forbidden in VM screen 2, but allowed in VM screen 1)

- I've been asked permission (I mean provide admin privileges) for the drop to work - in my desktop.

Now it is no longer working but I'm assuming that's because I was trying to repair the vmware tools installation (to check what you mentioned, but it went fine; I think I explained my self poorly, what I tried was a Windows startup repair and yes, that failed).

Now vmtoolsd.exe is running under user "SYSTEM" and no drag&drop.

Let's see after I reboot which I'm doing right now.

BRB,

jaime

0 Kudos
jaimea
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Ok, a tad more of information.

As running the service "vmtoolsd -n vmusr" from the command line worked, I went on to try to modify the service:

- in the Log On properties of the service, enabled "Allow system to interact with desktop" (looked good!) - no avail

- log on as my user account (instead of system) - no avail

- change in the "General" tab the start parameters (non persistent?) to be -n vmusr: - no way

Killing the process (I use pskill as it is a very handy tool for this) and launching it from an elevated cmd: works always (always meaning a few tries so far) - and not only for drag&drop, but also for Unity!!!!

Happy camper here!

It looks as if a bat file with this contents:

pskill vmtoolsd.exe

"\program files\vmware\vmware tools\vmtoolsd.exe" -n vmusr

... run at the start of every session will do the trick... let's see!

I'll report back after a few boots.

Thanks once more,

jaime

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Jaime,

Headstrong being an asset as a programmer depends. For customers I tend to drop that approach and search for an alternative solution when I can't find an answer within a preset time frame. Anyways..

vmtoolsd should have two processes running.

One as SYSTEM user and another one running under your user account.

Ah I see you got it working while I'm typing this up. Great to hear there's a solution.

Still no answer on why your VM would BSOD when you remove vmware tools, but sometimes you gotta count your blessings.

--

Wil

0 Kudos
jaimea
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Wila,

now there are those 2 processes, previously there was only one (system user). Everything seems to work now.

Still some mysteries, true, but at least for the moment I'll stop trying to solve those.

Thank you so much.

jaime

PS: also absolutely agree on the headstrong comment re. customers - I develop "closed" products now and forgot that side.

0 Kudos
dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Nice to hear that you got things working.  I've been catastrophically busy working a Support Request for the last few days, which is why I did the hit-and-run post of random education earlier and then promptly vanished again. Smiley Sad  Now I have a smidgen more time available.

Re. vmtoolsd: Usually there are two processes (as you've found), one for SYSTEM and one for the logged-in user.  Interactions with the clipboard and with the user's desktop (drag and drop) go through the instance running as the user.  Some other stuff (automatic guest display sizing? requests to restart/shutdown the guest OS? various other things?) have to be handled by the SYSTEM instance.  I'm not terribly knowledgeable in the innards of Tools and copy/paste and drag/drop and Unity... I know there are lots of moving parts that all need to move in a coordinated fashion for those features to work, and I know that usually those moving parts should automatically be put into place by the Tools installer and shouldn't require messy tinkering or manual launches of Tools processes.

Re. the BSOD: No idea; There's not enough useful info on the BSOD screen, so I'd need to see a crash dump.  Weird that you're not getting a dumpfile at all.  (And double-weird that it correlates to uninstallation of VMware Tools.)  Can you double-check the Windows Event Log (eventvwr.exe) in the "System" log to see if it reports an unusual location for the dump file or a problem writing the dump file out?   I'm assuming you waited long enough for the dumpfile write to complete, and that you have enough free disk space on the VM's virtual C: drive. :smileygrin:  Alternatively: If you can suspend or snapshot the VM while it's at the BSOD screen, we may be able to use the vmss2core tool included with Workstation and Fusion to convert the VM's suspended state (the .vmem and .vmss/.vmsn files which will appear in the VM's directory on the host) into a MEMORY.DMP suitable for analysis with WinDbg or your favorite BSOD analysis tool.  (Neat, eh?)

Re. general config options: mem.hotadd should probably be removed from your VM's configuration.  Windows 7 doesn't support memory hot add, and there are a few places behind-the-scenes where things might get unnecessarily complicated with hotadd support enabled.  I doubt it is causing the BSOD or other problems though.  And... it looks like you are doing some fun stuff with that VM, judging by its config and log... :smileymischief:  But it all looks basically sane.

Re. systems imported from physical.  "Brand-name" or integrated systems are the worst for rampant bundled drivers that can cause problems during P2V.  The closer your host system is to a generic PC with a clean-installed retail OS, the better the likely outcome of a P2V.  Remove every single unnecessary driver and software package... Each and every one could cause stability problems.  Some of the uninstallers don't work so well either (cough... okay, don't look too closely at Workstation's uninstaller...) so problematic stuff might even remain after uninstalling everything.  It'd definitely be "cleaner" to start off with a fresh installation directly into a VM, but on the flip-side... redoing ten years worth of accumulated software installation and customization is not an appealing prospect (and not always possible with lost installation media or software keys), which is why P2V remains a popular choice for some users.  My gut feeling is that your trouble with Tools and possibly with the BSOD might very well be caused by one or more pieces of zombie software from your OS's time on a physical machine.

Cheers,

--

Darius

jaimea
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Darius,

thanks for taking the time to reply. Yes, now I can "Unity" my system which is a big difference, specially being able to drag and drop between host&guest etc.

Funny enough at this precise moment I cannot drag&drop inside this very guest, but haven't tried anything so won't complain for now.

You nailed it, I went P2V because of the amount of software installed and given the system was working (and still is) nice and smooth - always been very very careful, lots of housekeeping - of course no way to fully clean anything in windows but tried my best. Never intended to make anything fancy with the VM, though, just virtualized it and then kept upgrading to new versions of workstation... don't know why the vm looks so "special" to you knowledgeable people!

Very powerful indeed the option to get the memory dump from the workstation file - I'll do so as soon as I get some spare time, the necessity not being so imperious now. Sure I waited for the dump to finish, there's plenty of space, and I've checked the location (per windows configuration) is ok - can't access the eventmgr once the BSOD has happened, though, or can I?

I'll do it and report back most probably sooner than I should 🙂

Best regards,

jaime

0 Kudos