VMware Communities
scottvmware
Contributor
Contributor

guest VM pegged at 100% CPU utilization

Since sometime late last year, the performance in multiple guest VMs has been terrible. Something is causing the CPU to run for long periods at 100%, despite there being no obvious activity; refer to the this screenshot from one of the machines:

VMWare guest performance at 100%.PNG

The host machine is running normally with CPU usage at 5-40%.

There have been periods when a VM performs normally, but the majority case is what you see above. I was running Workstation Pro 11 but upgraded today to Workstation Pro 12 with no change in behavior.

This problem happens in three different guest machines, two of which are running Win7 and one of which is running Win8.1 (though I can't quantify it, the problem seems to happen more often in the Win7 VMs than in the Win8 machine).

Based on requests in similar threads, I've attached vmware.log from the same machine whose task manager screenshot is shown above.

15 Replies
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hello,

The screenshot doesn't say much as it doesn't include all processes.

The button "Show processes from all users" is not there when you -- list all the processes and then it should also display which process is using all the CPU.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
scottvmware
Contributor
Contributor

True enough...

The upper screenshot shows a process that flits in and out of the top five -- and, not, I'm not installing anything. The lower image is more typical.

Task Manager 1&2.png

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

SvcHost -> "Service Host" is used by windows for many things. Unfortunately this isn't a very clear indication of what Windows is doing.

In task manager you can add more columns via "View"->Select Columns -> put a checkbox at "Command Line" near the bottom.

Then a new column appears in your Task Manager and if you make the column wide enough at the end of the command line it shows you more details on what it is doing (that is it gives some hints)

For example:

C:\Windows\System32\svchost -k netsvcs

The "-k netsvcs" part in the example is the  hint.. yours is likely to be something else...

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
0 Kudos
scottvmware
Contributor
Contributor

Actually, wila, your guess hit the nail on the head:

vmware task manager.png

I'm researching reasons why netsvcs can cause excessive CPU usage.

0 Kudos
scottvmware
Contributor
Contributor

Early returns are positive but I'll wait a few days because I've had quiet periods interspersed with 100% utilization in the past.

I used this page http://www.gadgetsupersite.com/svchost-exe-netsvcs-fixed/ but ran Malwarebytes instead of Avast. It did not find anything suspicious but perhaps purging the log files has helped. I will report back later this week.

0 Kudos
scottvmware
Contributor
Contributor

Unfortunately, the improvement after deleting log files that I mentioned above, did not help. There are multiple VMs that experience the 100% utilization at various time and that run normally at other times. For example, at the moment I have two VMs (both running on the same host) that are maxed out at 100% CPU utilization. In both cases, it's the same svchost command line shown above, and again below, that is consuming most of the resources.

VMWare guest performance at 100% 2.PNG

Any additional suggestions? Where else can I look to find out what is causing this problem?

As you can imagine, it's difficult to get any work done under these conditions. And it can be worse than that -- last week, in the middle of a webcast I was delivering to 390 people, CPU usage spiked to 100% and stayed there! It's very difficult to do live demos when the system barely responds to even simple commands. BTW, I had only one VM running at the time.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

I understand, the problem is that this is more of a Windows issue as a virtualisation one and while the svchost -netsvc gives a hint it has something to do with networking, it is still pretty vague as it to what exactly triggers your issue. It certainly isn't a common VMware issue.

Here's a thread that has a link to how-to start troubleshooting svchost issues:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/99492f5e-d14d-4105-8b22-eb0cdd3a1add/svchost-netsv...

--

Wil

0 Kudos
scottvmware
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks. I'll dig deeper into svchost and a potential networking issue.

0 Kudos
scottvmware
Contributor
Contributor

I haven't had any success yet in finding a cause of the excessive CPU utilization.

wila -- I'd like to return to your premise that this is more of a Windows issue than a virtualization issue. I would agree if the problem weren't so consistent across multiple VMs on the same host. The problem occurs on two different Win 7 guests, as well as one running Win 8.1, and one running Windows 10.

It seems to me there must be some common issue for the same symptom to appear in such different guests; the virtualization software is the one thing they all have in common. Yes, they also share the same host. However, please note that the CPU utilization on the host is perfectly normal. It is elevated by approximately 20% whenever a VM is pegged at 100%, but returns to near zero if VMs are performing normally or are suspended.

A thought: as noted in prior posts, the command line for the svchost that is consuming the CPU refers to netsvc. All but the Win 10 VM were created on another machine and have been moved twice to their current host. Might there be network-related residue left over from previous locations that is causing the network service to scan network connections that no longer exist? Is there a way to purge all prior network knowledge and start the VM with a clean, new connection?

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

I'm sorry at this moment I have no further ideas to troubleshoot.

If you had been running VMware Fusion this is where I would direct you to file a support request so a VMware technician could take an actual look at your setup.

But as you are using VMware Workstation, you probably do not have a valid support contract and as such it's an expensive option.

Maybe somebody else here on the forum still has an idea on what might be wrong.

--

Wil

PS: It's not unexpected that your host only uses 20% when a guest goes on full 100% CPU usage. You assigned 1 vCPU core to the VM and your CPU (i7-4650U) has 2 cores and a total of 8 threads. I would have expected a 10% usage, but 20% is still not unexpected as a thread isn't exactly the same as a full core.

You could try adding a core to the VM, but even if  that helps a bit, it isn't exactly a fix, but more like a patch.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

Not sure if it is relevant and/or the same issue.. but, I _do_ see this issue every now and then, but only if there are new Windows Updates and I have not yet applied/installed the new Windows Updates.

My fix? Take a snapshot, run Windows Updates .... (and commit the snapshot a day or so later, when I know things still work fine)

--

Wil

0 Kudos
spolit
Contributor
Contributor

I'm seeing the same thing on my desktop and my Dell laptop.  cpu pegged at 100%

Process c:\windows\system32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs is using 99% CPU

I can't seem to get it to stop.

Curiously I just installed vmware fusion 8 on my mac and it is doing exactly the same thing.  Very suspicious

Any ideas from folks?

Selwyn

0 Kudos
spolit
Contributor
Contributor

So this appears to be related to windows update.  When I kill this process:

svchost.exe  c:\windows\system32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs

the windows update process stops.  It looks like my VM was way behind on updates. Once I got caught up, it seemed to settle down.

Hope this helps someone.

Selwyn

kevindts
Contributor
Contributor

Have you resolved this problem yet? I'm encountering a similar issue with svchost.exe (netsvcs) process. I'm finding the way to resolve the problem.

So this appears to be related to windows update.  When I kill this process:

svchost.exe  c:\windows\system32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs

the windows update process stops.  It looks like my VM was way behind on updates. Once I got caught up, it seemed to settle down.

Hope this helps someone.

Selwyn

I've killed the process but it comes up right away.

Updated:

After digging Google to find solutions, I found out that Windows Update is standing behind my issue. The thing is I have recently updated Windows OS, from an older build to a new one.

Fix Svchost.exe (netsvcs) High CPU Usage or Memory Leak Issue

Followed the post above, I uninstalled the update and back to the older build. After that, it seems the problem is disappeared.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hello Kevindts,

Use the tips at the following link to resolve your high svchost usage.

Re: Can anyone suggest a fix for Windows 7 updates failing?

--

Wil