VMware Communities
smorelock
Contributor
Contributor

New computer problem

VMware Workstation internal monitor error ***

vcpu-0:DoubleFault @ 0x4020:0xb8100 (0x100c,0x2e78)

Please report this problem by selecting menu item Help > VMware on the Web > Request Support, or by going to the Web page "http://www.vmware.com/info?id=8&logFile=D%3a%5cvmware%2elog&coreLocation=D%3a%5c%5cvmware%2dcore%2eg...". Please provide us with the log file (D:\vmware.log) and the core file (D:\\vmware-core.gz).

If the problem is repeatable, please select 'Run with debugging information' in the Options panel of Virtual Machine Settings. Then reproduce the incident and file it according to the instructions.

To collect data to submit to VMware support, select Help > About and click "Collect Support Data". You can also run the "vm-support" script in the Workstation folder directly.

We will respond on the basis of your support entitlement.

We appreciate your feedback,

-- the VMware Workstation team.

How can I fix this error?

I would like to update to workstation  12 but get the same error

I have samsung ssd 960 evo drive

Steve m.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
10 Replies
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

Did you enable virtualisation in your BIOS/Firmware?

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
smorelock
Contributor
Contributor

yes

I have usb 3.0 and 3.1

and a Samsung ssd 960 EVO  500gb

Would this be causing the problem?

Thank you

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

It shouldn't.

How about providing some log? Like attaching vmware.log that you can find in the virtual machine folder.

Please do not copy&paste log contents into a post here as it makes the thread very difficult to navigate and read. You can find an attach link at the bottom right area when posting. Note that this is only available in the discussion thread, not in the inbox.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
0 Kudos
smorelock
Contributor
Contributor

Here is the log

Thank your for you help

Steve

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

The log says Windows 8.0 and VMware Workstation 6.0.5.

The CPU isn't even recognized, but your host name suggests that you are running off a GA-Z270X-UD5 (rev. 1.0) | Motherboard - GIGABYTE

If you enabled hardware virtualization in the BIOS then did you also powercycle (eg. unplug the power to make that setting active) ?

Besides that.. Windows 8.0 is not supported anymore by MS AFAIK and Workstation 6.0.5 has been retired for almost 6 years (http://www.vmware.com/content/dam/digitalmarketing/vmware/en/pdf/support/product-lifecycle-matrix.pd... ), but you are running of recent hardware.

So my suggestions to getting this to work properly is to:

- update your Windows 8.x until you are current

- then install VMware Workstation 12.5.7

If it then still does not work, attach the vmware.log while at that stage again and it will normally have better information on what went wrong.

But I would expect that it will work after the above updates.

--

Wil

0 Kudos
smorelock
Contributor
Contributor

I am running windows 10

I tried workstation 12  had the same error

Did not unplug power I will try that.

The reason I am using workstation 6.5 is that 12 does not support win 98.

Have some old machines in our cabinet shop the only work with windows 98

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

I am running windows 10

That's the problem with an old product as Workstation 6.0.5, it might misreport on whole range of OS calls, it said "host version is 6.2.9200" which equals to Windows 8.0 and that's not because of problems in the code of Workstation 6.x, but because  the Windows API for retrieving host OS version has changed

That is just one of the things in Windows that changed.

Running Workstation 6.x on Windows 10 most certainly is not supported as WS6 was retired years before Windows 10 was released.

As for the "Windows 98 is not supported on Workstation 12.5" you have to realize that that is just the official statement.

VMware will try to keep that to work, but they stopped doing extensive tests on that platform to guarantuee that it works.

A VMware employee worded it a bit better as I did, but I can't find his quote in a search.

If an update breaks things then you can either go back a revision or tweak some settings.

As virtualization is very tightly coupled with the host OS, you really need to keep up to date with VMware Workstation if you want to run it on a current host OS and hardware platform.

If you don't want to do that, then you really are "on your own".

--

Wil

0 Kudos
smorelock
Contributor
Contributor

installed 12.7

Here is the log

tried making new virtual machine and it does it to

Second log is from new machine

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Ok.

I think the old VM with 1GB RAM might have a bit too much RAM. That wasn't a common configuration at Win98 time.

Max RAM supported by Windows 98?? | [H]ard|Forum

For testing I would not go beyond the 512MB RAM.

That doesn't explain why your other VM with 256MB RAM has the same problem though.

Please recheck that Intel Virtualization Technology is enabled in your EFI/BIOS.

Did you power cycle already?

The above is the most common reason for this particular error!

If you are sure that VT-x is enabled and you did power cycle the machine then can you try with guest OS set to "Other" and see if that helps?

If that still doesn't help, but the guest OS back to Win98 and try "Binary Translation" mode for the hypervisor instead of automatic.

--

Wil

0 Kudos
smorelock
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you wila

After a few adjustment on settings and I manged to get the virtual machine working 

0 Kudos