VMware Communities
Koppie
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

CD access in Workstation

My guest OS (Win XP SP2) has trouble accessing the CD. It says:

"The drive is not ready for use; its door may be open. Please check drive 😧 and make sure that a disk is inserted and that the drive door is closed."

The options are Cancel, Try Again, or Continue. No matter what I press, it will try to access the CD a few more times and then fail. Then it says:

"Only part of a ReadProcessMemory or WriteProcessMemory request was completed."

Sometimes I can see the files on the disc, but I can't access them. This has happened with every cd I try putting in. I've run the same VM on my wife's computer and it can read cd's fine so I don't think it's a problem with the guest OS. The cd also works fine in my host (Kubuntu Fiesty).

Here are my vital stats:

Guest: Windows XP SP2

Host: Kubuntu Fiesty

VMware Workstation 6.0 beta

VM cd settings:

Connected

Connect at power on

Use physical drive: Auto detect

Connect exclusively to this virtual machine

Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
oreeh
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

It could be a problem with the type of CD-ROM device (DVD, DVD writer, CD writer) your are using too.

If this is possible try another drive.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
oreeh
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

don't use autodetect - specify the drive instead

Koppie
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for your reply! I specified the drive (and I made sure it was pointing to the right place) but same problem.

Any other ideas?

0 Kudos
oreeh
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Sure

\- try the legacy emulation

\- create an ISO image and use the image instead

Koppie
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Well that didn't fix it but at least it doesn't say "The drive is not ready for use" a million times. It still says "Only part of a ReadProcessMemory or WriteProcessMemory request was completed." It looks like it can see the files on the CD, but won't read them.

Ripping an ISO image is a good idea (that's how I installed the OS in the first place) but I want to be able to use many cd's on a regular basis and that will be a major problem for my workflow.

I checked the button saying "Connect exclusively to this VM" but I can still access the cd from the host OS. When I do the same thing with a USB device (exclusive access), it unmounts it from the host before I can use it in the guest. That's not happening with the cd. Maybe the problem is with Workstation? Is there a solution to this?

0 Kudos
oreeh
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

It could be a problem with the type of CD-ROM device (DVD, DVD writer, CD writer) your are using too.

If this is possible try another drive.

0 Kudos
Koppie
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

It's actually a problem that (K)Ubuntu Feisty (my host) has been having with some cd drives (mostly Sony). The new kernel should fix it.

Thanks for your help!

Message was edited by:

Koppie

0 Kudos