VMware Communities
Clemster
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Snow leopard installation in VMWare Player

Hi, 

I am after some help.  I purchased a copy of snow leopard from apple so this is a legitimate copy. I have an intel i7 3770k processor 16gb ram. I am wanting to try and install snow leopard on my machine Iona virtual environment. So far it is telling me that i am unable to install a 64 bit operating system. I have WO dows 7 working beautifully and this is a 32 bit operating system. The main OS is windows 8 and this is 64 bit. 

If anybody has any guides on how to install snow leopard without having to go and get a dodgy copy from a torrent I would be very grateful. Has anybody done this so far?

Pthanks

clem

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

VMware does not support the running of OS X under VMware Player/Workstation!  Also, running legally virtualizable versions of OS X in a Virtual Machine may only be done when done on Apple-branded hardware and when done while running under OS X and for that you need VMware Fusion not VMware Player/Workstation (or use ESX/ESXi on Apple-branded hardware) otherwise you're violating the Apple SLA for that product.  Therefore no help can be provided to you for OS X in this use case scenario as it would violate VMware Community Terms of Use to do so.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

VMware does not support the running of OS X under VMware Player/Workstation!  Also, running legally virtualizable versions of OS X in a Virtual Machine may only be done when done on Apple-branded hardware and when done while running under OS X and for that you need VMware Fusion not VMware Player/Workstation (or use ESX/ESXi on Apple-branded hardware) otherwise you're violating the Apple SLA for that product.  Therefore no help can be provided to you for OS X in this use case scenario as it would violate VMware Community Terms of Use to do so.

0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Apple only allows the virtualization of its products on Apple Hardware.

What you are asking is unlawful and the discussion of this is banned by the terms and contitions that you agreed to on joining this forum.

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
VMware Communities User Moderator
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
Clemster
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Sorry Woody,

I went and asked if I was able to do this at my local apple store and they said that I could, I just had to purchase the disk online from apple.

Sorry for any confusion I may have caused

Clemster

0 Kudos
Clemster
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Sorry Tom,

I went and asked if I was able to do this at my local apple store and they said that I could, I just had to purchase the disk online from apple.

Clemster

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Clemster wrote: I went and asked if I was able to do this at my local apple store and they said that I could, I just had to purchase the disk online from apple.

There is no confusion whatsoever on my part! Smiley Happy  If you were told that you can install/run/virtualize Mac OS X on other then an Apple-branded computer you were told wrong, regardless of who at Apple told you that! Smiley Wink   Also using an Apple-branded computer is not the only caveat, unless otherwise noted in the SLA they also have to be run under the same version.  In other words, you may not run OS X 10.8 in a VM under Mac OS X 10.7... it has to be done under 10.8.  The bottom line is, one must conform to the given Apple products SLA and any discussions using it outside its use scope of the SLA in this case are not allowed in these forums.

0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

I would go back to your local Apple store and advise them to read their EULA, especially the part where it states that OSX can only be virtualized on Apple Branded Hardware.

Now in my best Monty Python voice, "Don't do it again" Smiley Happy

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
VMware Communities User Moderator
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410