VMware Communities
OJNSim
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Pre allocate all required size to a new macchine

Hi

I am trying to load a disk image to a new VM

After creating the machine (without installing the OS) I boot the machine into a boot environment containing DriveImage XML

The image size was created from a 100GB disk.

But even though I set the disk size of the new machine to (max) 100G the actual size of the machine is only 12G

For that reason, I guess, trying to restore the image onto the new VM fail, as the actual disk size(12G)  is less than the image size (100G)

Is there a possibility to make the empty newly created VM size holds the full max size - 100G?

tx

OJ

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
OJNSim
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I'm sorry but I probably missed something before

Before posting I recreated the VM more than once, and I always had the same problem as I described above.

Now I did it again and It's OK .

DriveImage XML, the imaging application, "see" the full VM size and I managed to start restoring the image

Tx

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

By default VMware Player doesn't create pre-allocated virtual disks, and what you most likely see is a 12MB (rather than GB) .vmdk file. This file can/will grow up to ~100GB if required.

André

0 Kudos
OJNSim
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I understand the player does not pre allocate virtual disks - but this is exactly the problem...:smileyconfused:

In "regular" scenario, in which the VM is installed with OS from scratch, it is good enough.

But here - the image is bigger than the initial size allocated by the player thus, it can not be restored

The question if this behavior can be changed somehow

tx

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

It actually doesn't matter whether the disk space on the host is pre-allocated or not. In either case, the guest will only be able to use the provisioned disk space, i.e. the virtual disk size you specified. If this isn't sufficient, you need to specify a larger virtual disk? The virtual disk does not automatically grow above the provisioned size.

André

0 Kudos
OJNSim
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I think there's a slight misunderstanding ...

I am not asking for how to use more space than provisioned

The provisioned disk space is 102G, whereas the image I am trying to restore was taken from a 100G partition. This should be sufficient.

When I try to restore the image the imaging program says that the target partition (102G) should be at least in the size of the source partition (100G)

My assumption is that this is due to the fact that the current actual size of the VM is only 12G rather than 102G.

I would like to make the VM hold all the provisioned size and not to increase over time.

OJ

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Ok, that clarifies it. Anyway, it really doesn't matter whether the virtual disk is sparse or full provisioned, the guest - in your case the image restore application - will see the same disk size. Which imaging application do you use, and does it show the disks which it detects? Maybe it's an issue with the virtual disk controller and that the application doesn't recognize the disk at all due to e.g. driver issues?

How did you configure the VM (guest OS selection)?

André

0 Kudos
OJNSim
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I'm sorry but I probably missed something before

Before posting I recreated the VM more than once, and I always had the same problem as I described above.

Now I did it again and It's OK .

DriveImage XML, the imaging application, "see" the full VM size and I managed to start restoring the image

Tx

0 Kudos