VMware Communities
OJNSim
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Install a new machine by restoring a disk image

Hi

I am trying to install a new win 7 machine by restoring a previously create disk image with DriveImage XML

I create the machine and booted it with an Unltimate Boot CD iso which contains DriveImage XML as well as many other utilities

Now I need to select the iamge to be restored onto the newly create VMWare machine

The problem is that I can not access the image which reside on the host machine, as the VMWare tools are not installed yet.

Is there a solution for that?

Tx

OJ

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
OJNSim
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I found the problem

Unlike a standard USB stick connecting the VM to the USB HD while the machine is up and running, actually disconnects the HD from the host machine, but it does not make the disk visible in the VM

Restarting the VM - and the disk is recognized and accessible

tx

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

If the boot CD supports network connections, an option might be to share the host folder with the image and connect to it from within the VM/DriveImage XML.

André

0 Kudos
OJNSim
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

The boot CD does support network support only for now it does not work - something with the net support setup

I am looking into it. Can it be a VMWare issue somehow?

Is there another option?

tx

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Can the Image to be Restored be placed on a USB Drive and accessed from there?

Another option is to place the Image to be Restored in a ISO Image and add a second CD/DVD to the VM or if the Ultimate Boot CD ISO Image can be expanded to include the Image to be Restored.   I've done both with other utilities and other Bootable ISO Images however haven't tested it with the Ultimate Boot CD ISO Image.

0 Kudos
OJNSim
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

It can be placed on a USB drive

I will move try and report back

As for the image as iso option - I am not sure it can be done with DriveImage XML - as this program stores the image in XML file(s).

But just for my understanding - the machine is booted using iso from its DVD.

How is it possible to set as additional DVD?

tx

OJ

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

You are living in a virtual world Smiley Wink Just add a second CD/DVD drive to the VM.

With the XML files you have, just burn a CD/DVD/ISO with the files on it.

André

0 Kudos
OJNSim
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I know my friend,  virtual:smileycool:

I actually looked how to do that, apperantly Not good enough...

I Will check again

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

OJNSim wrote: As for the image as iso option - I am not sure it can be done with DriveImage XML - as this program stores the image in XML file(s).

The actual Image is not the .XML file it's the .DAT and or DAT, .001, .002, .003, etc. files  The XML file contains the drive description and the .DAT, etc files are binary files and are what actually contain the content of the disk that was backed up.  So, from what I've read and seen with DriveImage XML Interface as long as the Storrage Device is accessible then it can be restored from it! Smiley Wink  I haven't actually used it however I've used similar products and they all pretty much work the same or similar enough.

0 Kudos
OJNSim
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

So, from what I've read and seen with DriveImage XML Interface as long as the Storage Device is accessible then it can be restored from it!

Yes I agree. It reffered to WoodyZ suggestion regarding a 2nd virtual DVD

The problem is for now - I can not make the USB drive accessible to the boot environment

I have another VM, installed with XP, where the USB HD is visible and accessible.

But with the new machine I am trying to create there is a problem.

The first time I connect the disk to the VM there was a BSOD on the host machine

Second time is didnt happen.

But, when i connected the VM to the disk - the host machine didn't see it anymore, as expected, but it still was not recognized in the VM

0 Kudos
OJNSim
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I found the problem

Unlike a standard USB stick connecting the VM to the USB HD while the machine is up and running, actually disconnects the HD from the host machine, but it does not make the disk visible in the VM

Restarting the VM - and the disk is recognized and accessible

tx

0 Kudos