VMware Communities
ocea
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

XP SP2 Hangs after auto login of administrator fails

For some reason Fusion auto logs in as administrator in my XP SP2 installation. I did not want this to happen so I put a password on it in Windows and then Fusion failed the login and I was able to pick an alternate login. This worked fine once. Now the administrator login fails and then it immediatly jumps to a screen that says loading Windows and hangs. Is there a way to tell fusion to not auto login? This is a new install so I would rather not have to go back through the 6 hours of building XP with all the apps again if it is not necessary. Anybody seen this before?

Thanks,

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
BP9906
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Well you can disable Automatic Admin Logon in the registry:

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\WinLogon - Key: AutoAdminLogon - Type: String - Value: 0

Alternatively, you can also check out Start > Run > "control userpasswords2" to force users to input credentials always. Just that one check box.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Fusion doesn't login, it's Windows that does this. The fix is somewhere in your Windows settings (I'm not really familiar with Windows, so can't give you more precise directions) - try googling for "windows autologin" or something.

BP9906
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Well you can disable Automatic Admin Logon in the registry:

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\WinLogon - Key: AutoAdminLogon - Type: String - Value: 0

Alternatively, you can also check out Start > Run > "control userpasswords2" to force users to input credentials always. Just that one check box.

0 Kudos
ocea
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks, I did the controld user passwords command and checked the box and that solved the issue. I found if I kept restarting eventually the login would fail and it would bring up the other logins to the system so I could get in. I have set up hundreds of XP machines and never had it autologin administrator so I thought it was something to do with Fusion. Thanks again for pointing out where it was in XP.

0 Kudos
Jive_IT_Guy
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks BP!

It was driving me crazy. Strange that windows XP did not have the box checked by default. In my experience, once you "change the way users log on and off " and disable the Welcome Screen in the User Control panel, this is never a problem.

0 Kudos