VMware Communities
keithernet
Contributor
Contributor

Windows 7 Beta (7000)

Hi there. Has anyone been able to get the Windows 7 Beta (7000) running in Fusion?

I was able to install it, but on the first boot, it stalls on the loading screen. I also tried it in Parallels and ran into the same problem. Parallels reports that they have an update coming "soon" that will fix the issue.

Is the VMware Fusion team working on this too?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
77 Replies
imac911
Contributor
Contributor

I installed Windows 7 via Bootcamp, and then I also go into it with VM Ware.

Here is my problem: selecting nat from the VM ware application like for my XP virtual machine, I get no interent conection for windows 7 inside the virtual machine. any ideas?

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

The answer is already posted in this thread... reread it.

0 Kudos
imac911
Contributor
Contributor

I did read it. Solution didn't work for me.

0 Kudos
jstraten
Contributor
Contributor

Shared folders don't work for me. Do they work for anyone? Installed Windows 7 Beta x64...

Thanks,

Jens

0 Kudos
danielc0
Contributor
Contributor

i don't have this problem. It is running fine.

But actually i don't get what u're talking about. Are u using mac os x as main OS? sorry for my bad english..

But i think you can try to reinstall the VMware as no matter what is the main OS, it needs to install its network drivers anyway....

Prehaps reinstall VMware can solve this problem out i guess

0 Kudos
Haravikk
Contributor
Contributor

I've found so far that the most stable mode to run Windows 7 in is Windows Server 2008 64 bit, anything else will eventually crash with various kernel protection errors or whatever. I'm assuming Windows Server 2008 is based more closely on the technologies in Windows 7 or something, but set-up like this it runs really stably. I too get the weird resolution changing on start-up with VMWare tools installed, but it's a fairly minor issue, everything else seems to work just fine.

It is certainly a leaner version of Vista, which is a good thing, but otherwise I can't say I'm much impressed by any of the "new" features, the new visual features of the taskbar and "peek" are really badly done knock-offs of OS X's dock and Exposé. They should really get someone who knows what they're doing in for the user interface features, and send everyone currently doing it to bolster the performance/resource-usage team(s).

0 Kudos
imac911
Contributor
Contributor

Windows 7 is interesting. Perhaps I haven't had the full experience yet.

In Boot camp, I have no audio.

In VM Ware - I have no internet.

ha-ha.

However, I will say, coming from XP, I thought I'd be impressed by Windows 7, but it doesn't look that good like the most above pointed out. OS X sure is still the gorgeous OS to use.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

In VM Ware - I have no internet.

Archive and attach a copy of the Virtual Machine's .vmx configuration file.

0 Kudos
jstraten
Contributor
Contributor

It seems that my shared folder problem is caused by the vm not being able to access .home which is mounted as drive Z.

Not sure what I can do to fix that...

0 Kudos
e1allen2
Contributor
Contributor

Okay, I give up Please provide directions.

Did this allow you to access other computers on your network? I am able to access the internet, but not the Slingbox or other computers on my local network.

Appreciate the help.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Okay, I give up Please provide directions.

Directions are already in this thread... read the linked documents. Also if you already have Internet Connectivity then that's not your issue.

Did this allow you to access other computers on your network? I am able to access the internet, but not the Slingbox or other computers on my local network.

The Virtual Machine's default Network is NAT which would put the Virtual Machine on a different Network Segment then the rest of the LAN so aside from changing the Virtual Machine's Network to Bridged and if you have Internet/Network Connectivity then this is really not a Fusion issue per se and more so a Windows Configuration issue and as such a Windows centric forum may provide you an answer to a Windows based problem faster.

Note: If you change the Virtual Machine's Network while its running don't forget to release/renew the IP Address.

Also have a look at:

0 Kudos
Rehmondo83
Contributor
Contributor

I got the VW Ware copy working again but without Aero it still looks rather dull, so I decided to install it using boot camp.

Everything worked fine apart from audio, so I went to Realtek and downloaded the latest drivers for the audio (2.14) and it works fine now Smiley Happy

Windows 7 looks very nice indeed!

Link: http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=24&PFid=24&Level=4&Conn=3&DownT...

0 Kudos
e1allen2
Contributor
Contributor

Okay, appreciate the assistance. I changed to Bridge and it found everything except other computers on the network or Slingbox.

As for the other computers, I seem to recall that the homegroups in Windows 7 will only access other computers IF they are running Windows 7.

Again, thank you!

Rehmondo83 also made a suggestion to install using Boot Camp. May have to give it a go.

It's great having access to all this help

Thank you for being here and reaching out.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

As for the other computers, I seem to recall that the homegroups in Windows 7 will only access other computers IF they are running Windows 7.

You do not have to use the Homegroup and can access directly from Network. I can access all of the Resources I have on my LAN from the Windows 7 Beta Virtual Machine without any problems as well as the Resources on Windows 7 Beta Virtual Machine from other System on the LAN.

You just have to configure everything properly.

0 Kudos
woodmeister
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

First my computer:

Macbook, 2.4 GHz, 4 Gig RAM, 320 Gig Hard drive

OSX 10.5.6

Fusion 2.01

VM setup

Windows Server 2008

1 processor

2 gig RAM

Bridged Network

3-D disabled

Installed Windows7 32 bit version and all went well. (Why do they

still do all those stupid reboots when every other operating system in the

world does one?). Installed VM tools without any issues.

So far only thing is the annoying multiple resizings on the start up of

the VM. Drag and drop both ways works. No network or internet

connection issues. Solitaire even works without crashing, which some people

have reported.

Will start loading up some real applications and adding some USB stuff

and see what happens.

0 Kudos
x7c00
Contributor
Contributor

I just installed W7 as per Pat Lee's instructions by using the Windows Server 2008 settings on Fusion 2.0.1. It installed in about 20 minutes with no help from me. The tools seemed to install automatically. The sound worked fine. I installed an IP printer and listened to some music. The video is OK. I love the interface and speed. It's a lot like Server 2008 which I've been using a lot.

Timmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

0 Kudos
cpryce
Contributor
Contributor

What goes wrong for people if you enable 3D graphics? I thought I had it turned off, but I just noticed it's enabled and I'm not experiencing any crashes or anything, yet.

0 Kudos
danielc0
Contributor
Contributor

what is the video card of ur mac?

0 Kudos
woodmeister
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

danielc0 said:

what is the video card of ur mac?

Intel GMA X3100

0 Kudos
Megacan
Contributor
Contributor

Have a look in the Virtual Machine's .vmx configuration file and make sure that the Network Adapter is showing as "e1000" as in the following example.

> ethernet0.virtualDEV = "e1000"
> 

Hello,

The name "ethernet0.virtualDEV" is just an example? or do I need to replace virtualDEV with something?

I installed Windows 7 on Vmware ESX Server 3i, 3.5.0 but I can't get windows to recognize the ethernet adapter.

Thanks.

0 Kudos