VMware Communities
juanm105
Contributor
Contributor

Fusion Vista and Garbled Menus in AutoCAD 2009

MacBook Pro 2.5Ghz, 4Gb RAM. 512 Mb VRAM

This is my son's new Mac for architecture college where they require Windows machines

I installed Fusion - no problem

I installed Vista Home Premium Edition - no problem or minimal confusion on my part but it installed. I used it a bit to check out the basics. Everything seemed OK.

I installed AutoCAD 2009 (education version), no problem. I tried it out. did some basic stuff (I am no AutoCAD guru) it seemed OK. had it running for a week or so.

Last night (of course as we are packing everything up for our trip to school), I checked out the MacBook, ran fusion, launched Vistatosh (as I call it), all seemed normal, launched AutoCAD, all seemed normal UNTIL I click on the menus and especially the big Red "A" menu. All the drop down menus were scrambled and unreadable.

I read somewhere that this is an AutoCAD problem and attempted the fix but deleted a registry as directed by some article on line. Re-launched AutoCAD it configured itself and ... same garbled menus. Tries a few times, same result.

Reinstalled AutoCAD and ... same result.

So I am now thinking I will delete my virtual machine, Vistatosh, and reinstall everything Vista and AutoCAD.

maybe an AutoCAD problem (I will check with them but they don't support AutoCAD running via Fusion or other virtualization)

Virus? windows malware? (I don't have virus software cuz when I get to the school that is free and will be loaded then.

Any other thoughts? Will be travelling today to school and will check back later today.

Thanks

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
kristein
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Disable the Hardware Acceleration in Windows Virtual Machine form the instructions given below

Right click on Desktop and select "Settings" > Advanced > Troubleshoot > Disable Hardware Acceleration (from Full to None)

0 Kudos
juanm105
Contributor
Contributor

Wow, incredibly quick reply ... incredibly perfect reply.

It worked perfectly.

I followed your directions and reset the hardware accelerator and then I reinstalled AutoCAD and everything seems as it should be.

I guess (and I don't remember) changing the hardware acceleration.

Thanks kristein!!!

Juan

0 Kudos
HOZINC
Contributor
Contributor

I am running a MAC BookPro, the latest version of OX, I have installed Fussion correctly, I then installed Windows XP 64Bit, I have attempting to install AutoCAD Map 3D, and I keep geeting

" YOU CANNOT INSTALL THIS PRODUCT ON THIS OPPERATIONG SYSTEM." the current version of AutoCAD I am attempting to load is a 32Bit program.

Can anyone help me with this one? what am I missing here?

The program will allow me to creat a deployment, does this play a factor?

0 Kudos