VMware Communities
geekster
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

WinXP Home hangs on "Resume"

I am runniing Fusion 1.1.1 on a MacBook Pro, OS 10.5.2. I created my VM in Fusion, (no boot camp) and it ran fine after install. Then I quit (I did not shut down Windows, I just told Fusion to quit -- I got a message saying something to the effect that the state of my machine would be remembered for me and restored upon relaunch. I said Okay). When I tried to run my VM a couple days later, I select Windows XP Home, and click resume. I get a window that says "Restoring Virtual Machine State" over a grayed out Windows desktop. The progress bar quickly fills to about 25% of the way across, then... nothing. It just hangs there, trying to resume, about 25% of the way across. I have left it working for a half hour or so and still, no more progress. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MPM01
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Try by deleting the .vmss file, from the following location if any

1) Quit the all the applications

2) Go to /Users/<User Name>/Documents/Virtual Machines

3) Right click on your Virtual Machine icon, select the Show Package Contents.

4) Delete ".vmss" file

5) Restart the system and run the VM.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
MPM01
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Try by deleting the .vmss file, from the following location if any

1) Quit the all the applications

2) Go to /Users/<User Name>/Documents/Virtual Machines

3) Right click on your Virtual Machine icon, select the Show Package Contents.

4) Delete ".vmss" file

5) Restart the system and run the VM.

0 Kudos
geekster
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Awesome... That worked perfectly! Now, only one other question... Do you know why it did that (did I do something wrong?) and, should I expect it to become a recurring problem?

Thanks for the excellent answer, and thanks in advance for any further reply!

0 Kudos
aaeto
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I am experiencing same kind of problem but cannot find the .vmss file in the Windows XP Professional.vmwarevm package. What can I do then?

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I am experiencing same kind of problem but cannot find the .vmss file in the Windows XP Professional.vmwarevm package. What can I do then?

VMware Fusion (menu bar) > Help > VMware Fusion Help > Using the VMware Fusion Interface > Working with Virtual Machine Packages

VMware Fusion (menu bar) > Help > VMware Fusion Help > Navigating VMware Fusion > Using the Virtual Machine Library Window > Determine the location of a virtual machine's files

VMware Fusion (menu bar) > Help > VMware Fusion Help > Navigating VMware Fusion > Using the Virtual Machine Library Window

Look at: Determine the location of a virtual machine's files

VMware Fusion (menu bar) > Help > VMware Fusion Help > Running VMware Fusion and Virtual Machines > Switching Power Commands from the Default Options

VMware Fusion (menu bar) > Help > VMware Fusion Help > Running VMware Fusion and Virtual Machines > Shutting Down a Virtual Machine's Operating System

Note: This is like pulling the plug from the wall on a Physical Computer. Anything not saved will be lost and there is always the possibility of corrupting the Filesystem when preforming a Hard Shutdown! (Although you may have no other choice but to do this.)

VMware Fusion menu bar > Virtual Machine > press the option key and select Power Off

1718_1718.gif

Pressing the alt/option key changes "Shutdown Guest" to "Power Off".

Note: It also changes the "Suspend Guest" and "Restart Guest" commands too.

Or if that doesn't work then...

On the Virtual Machine Library ctrl-click the target Virtual Machine and select Show in Finder and the ctrl-click the target Virtual Machine Package and then after closing Fusion delete the .vmss file. Note: Anything that was not saved from the suspended state will be lost by deleting the .vmss file. Note: However you may have not other choice is the Virtual Machine will not suspend/unsuspend/shutdown/start properly.

0 Kudos