VMware Communities
juandolares
Contributor
Contributor

VMWare and Bootcamp help

Hit there, I've been using VMware fusion for a while now and it's been working pretty well. I've installed both copies of my original Windows XP as well as a copy of TinyXP that I have. The last few days however I have been trying to get TinyXP installed on a bootcamp partition, but I keep getting an error whenever I try to boot from my TinyXP cd (original XP disk works fine). Kind of weird considering it boots and installs fine in either the bootcamp partition or a vm when i use Fusion. So what I'm wondering is if I can create a new bootcamp partition and use Fusion to install TinyXP on the partition, then boot into the partition and run XP?

I know that you can't convert a vm to a bootcamp partition, so basically what I'm asking is, is there any way that I can run a bootcamp partition through fusion, without converting it to a vm?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

TinyXP is a bootlegged homegrown illegally distributed version of Windows XP and therefore cannot be discussed as it would violate the Community Terms of Use that you agreed to when posting in theses forums.

0 Kudos
juandolares
Contributor
Contributor

I have an original XP cd, would I be able to use that?

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

From Apple - Mac OS X Leopard - Technical Specs

Boot Camp requires a Mac with an Intel processor and Windows XP Service Pack 2 or Windows Vista (sold separately).

From VMware Fusion System Requirements

Minimum Requirements for VMware Fusion

Intel® Mac required.

Minimum 1GB of RAM (2GB RAM recommended).

400 MB free disk space for VMware Fusion, and at least 5GB for each virtual machine.

Mac OS X 10.4.11 or later.

Operating system installation media (disk or disk image) for virtual machines.

Microsoft Windows (not included).

From VMware Fusion System Requirements

Windows XP (Professional SP2, Home Edition SP2)

0 Kudos
juandolares
Contributor
Contributor

I really don't see what your point is here as I have already mentioned twice that I ALREADY own a copy of Windows XP Home Edition w/ SP2. I'm sure it would have been easier to just give a yes or no answer rather than go digging around in FAQs, but hey, it's your free time.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

I really don't see what your point is here as I have already mentioned twice that I ALREADY own a copy of Windows XP Home Edition w/ SP2.

No you never said "Windows XP Home Edition w/ SP2" until this post I'm replying to! You said "my original Windows XP" and "I have an original XP cd".

I'm sure it would have been easier to just give a yes or no answer rather than go digging around in FAQs, but hey, it's your free time.

First of all I didn't have to go digging around as I have the information handy as it's not the first time I provided the information and secondly since you basically didn't include any information as to what Host OS version or version of Fusion or version of Windows etc., etc. I provided the relevant information that answer your questions but you obviously seem to have a problem with that so not to worry I won't waste any more of my time trying to help you!

0 Kudos