VMware Communities
falcon820
Contributor
Contributor

Windows wants me to register again when I run VM Fusion

I installed Boot Camp, then Windows. Windows asked me to register that copy, so I did.

When I installed VM Fusion, Windows wants me to register again. When I try to, it says this copy of WindowsXP is registered to anther computer.

Any ideas of how to solve this issue?

thanks,

Dave

0 Kudos
5 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Windows Product Registration is optional so why are you even registering it? Windows Product Activation on the other hand is not. Are you talking about Registration or Activation? Also with Boot Camp partition run as a Virtual Machine one needs to install VMware Tools in the Boot Camp partition Virtual Machine before activation if possible. What type of install media is your Windows Disc, OEM, Retail or VLK. You may have to contact Microsoft to resolve Windows Product Activation issues.

0 Kudos
falcon820
Contributor
Contributor

First, I should be more precise - it is activation.

Second, OEM Windows XP

"Also with Boot Camp

partition run as a Virtual Machine one needs to install VMware Tools in

the Boot Camp partition Virtual Machine before activation if possible."

I didn't know this. I'll try it.

I was just surprised that since I activated Windows when I first installed it through Boot Camp, that it was asking me to activate it again.

Best,

Dave

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

I was just surprised that since I activated Windows when I first installed it through Boot Camp, that it was asking me to activate it again.

This is normal and to be expected because it's running on Virtual Hardware that is different the the Physical hardware it was originally installed on. Also you may have difficulty activating an OEM version again however you will have to deal with Microsoft on that issue.

0 Kudos
falcon820
Contributor
Contributor

Woody,

You said I would need to install VMFusion on the Boot Camp partition, but when I go to do that, I get this message...

"You cannot install VMware Fusion on this volume. You can only install this software on the running Mac OS X volume."

Did I understand you correctly?

Dave

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

I never said that! What I said was...

Also with Boot Camp partition run as a Virtual Machine one needs to install VMware Tools in the Boot Camp partition Virtual Machine before activation if possible.

Woody, You said I would need to install VMFusion on the Boot Camp partition, but when I go to do that, I get this message...

0 Kudos