VMware Communities
TECH198
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Tech Preview ...??

I could of sworn there was a Tech Preview for Windows 11-ARM on. Apple Silicon, then version 13 came out, with 'limited featured' and the unofficial guide..to install Tools via Powershell. Today, i see this:

https://blogs.vmware.com/teamfusion/2023/07/vmware-fusion-2023-tech-preview.html

How can you go from a "public" version 13.0.2 upgraded version, "back" to a tech preview??  I don't remember any of this: 3D acceleration, drag and drop... suport in Windows 11-ARM

Must be new.. .They mention "Somona" which is still be beta..  I'm disappointed it looks like its only for Sonoma, and doesn't mention anything about MacOS Ventura.. Does this mean we must upgrade when it finally comes out of beta? I'm intrested in this, but i'm on Ventura M1.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

They didn’t go backward. There was a Tech Preview released last year. If you look closely, it was labeled by VMware as 22H2 Tech Preview. This preview was an advance look at what was released as Fusion 13. The current 2023 Tech Preview is based on Fusion 13 and is a preview of what will becoming up in the next version of Fusion coming this fall. Athen enhancements in the 2023 Tech Preview include more complete VMware Tools support for Windows 11 ARM.

The bad thing about the Internet is that information rarely disappears, leading to a lot of obsolete information being available in web searches.

The 2023 Tech Preview will install on Ventura. People have gotten it to work on the Sonoma betas, and I suspect it will work on Monterey as well.

I suspect that Ventura will require the Fusion version to be released this fall. Usually VMware requires a new version to support new macOS major version. However, VMware has said that the next release will be a free upgrade for those currently running Fusion 13. 

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
palter
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

This is a preview of the next version of VMware Fusion which will probably be version 13.5 based on @Mikero's statement that it will be a free upgrade from 13.0.x.

It runs just fine on Ventura but also supports Sonoma.

Mac mini (M2 Pro/32GB/2TB), Intel NUC10i5FNH w/ESXi 7.0,
iPhone 15 Pro Max (256GB), iPad Pro 12.9" (5th gen, M1/16GB/1TB)
41mm Watch Series 9 (Aluminum), TV 4K (3rd gen), TV 4K (1st gen)
0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

They didn’t go backward. There was a Tech Preview released last year. If you look closely, it was labeled by VMware as 22H2 Tech Preview. This preview was an advance look at what was released as Fusion 13. The current 2023 Tech Preview is based on Fusion 13 and is a preview of what will becoming up in the next version of Fusion coming this fall. Athen enhancements in the 2023 Tech Preview include more complete VMware Tools support for Windows 11 ARM.

The bad thing about the Internet is that information rarely disappears, leading to a lot of obsolete information being available in web searches.

The 2023 Tech Preview will install on Ventura. People have gotten it to work on the Sonoma betas, and I suspect it will work on Monterey as well.

I suspect that Ventura will require the Fusion version to be released this fall. Usually VMware requires a new version to support new macOS major version. However, VMware has said that the next release will be a free upgrade for those currently running Fusion 13. 

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

You may have you rebuild the VM from scratch.  There are issues when upgrading the manually installed drivers that can cause video artifacts.  If you do, there's a new 'unofficial guide' in the tech preview documents section - use those instructions.

0 Kudos