VMware Communities
jtrom20
Contributor
Contributor

High Sierra - Fusion 10 - Cant install Any VMs

Hi All,

I have a late 2012 Macbook Pro Retina 13in 10,2 2.5GHZ i5 with 8gb of ram with a fresh install of High Sierra. I have tried installing Windows 10 version 1607 and 1703 multiple times with no success. Everytime the install fails and either just crashes or says the install cant be completed on this hardware. Any suggestions?

59 Replies
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

I meant the windows installation file - where did that come from?

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

I believe those machines originally came with spinning disks, so it should not have been converted to APFS.  Are you running a roll-your-own fusion drive or a third-party boot manager?

Aside:  Many machines of that vintage are starting to fall off the support list for Fusion, particularly for the metal rendering engine, so it's possible you're running into a compatibility problem.

0 Kudos
embusa
Contributor
Contributor

I'm having the same exact issue - I've been losing my mind.  I thought perhaps it was related to vagrant / packer but today when I tried to install by hand I had similar failures!  I'm so glad I found this thread.

0 Kudos
embusa
Contributor
Contributor

This seems to help - I've been able to install Windows 2016 Server twice now if I allocate the disk space prior to doing the install.

cellodav
Contributor
Contributor

Had this response from VMware Technical Support...

Please refer to this KB link which should resolve the issue:

https://kb.vmware.com/kb/2151780 [Boot Camp virtual machine created by Fusion on MacOS High Sierra or higher version does not have correct boot sector (2151780)]

0 Kudos
embusa
Contributor
Contributor

I don't think that is a solve for the same problem..

0 Kudos
cellodav
Contributor
Contributor

Followed the steps in the KB article noted above. All good now.

0 Kudos
daberlin
Contributor
Contributor

Just to be clear: it is NOT a good idea to disable the macOS System Integrity Protection

(this is what step 3 does: [...] run "csrutil disable" and press Enter)

Actually this is equivalent to solving authorization problems by using the root account... just not the way it is meant to be!

ErocMillsie
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Ummm...yeah, this is not a fix to Fusion's current incompatibility with APFS.  This problem has been noted since release and it's not fixed.  Simply unacceptable.

Early 2011 MacBook Pro and Early 2015 MacBook Pro Retina - OS X (Latest Release) - VMware Fusion (Latest Release)
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can someone from VMware Fusion team come back to us regarding the progress on this issue?

VMware Fusion is simply unusable on macOS 10.13. This is unacceptable.

JuanRestrepo
Contributor
Contributor

Best solution, I backup all files and installed Sierra.

0 Kudos
EricMiller_NY
Contributor
Contributor

That’s not a solution at all.

Nutellash
Contributor
Contributor

That's unacceptable ! It's been a month and we don't get any update to solve the issue ! I'm switching to parallels.

JuanRestrepo
Contributor
Contributor

Well, at least I can open my VM's and work on them. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
daberlin
Contributor
Contributor

Not true for me - I cannot use my Win10 VM with Visual Studio '17. It crashes after some minutes with a bluescreen!

0 Kudos
fr34k3
Contributor
Contributor

Same Problem here,

I tried installing:

Windows 1703:

Setup completes, Account Setup completes (9/10), Login works (3/10 times, otherwise BSOD at restart after Setup)

Start Menu all greyed out, Cortana doesn't work, Settings and Edge and other PRGMs won't open. -> Completely unusable (10/10)

Windows 1709:

Setup completes, BSOD (10/10)

MacOS High Sierra:

Won't even boot installer

I downgraded to 8.5, installed windows (works fine), installed Siemens NX 11 (CAD Programm) -> works as long as I stick with 8.5.

After upgrading the VM to hardware version 14 and updating VWT CAD won't open (Error: 0xc0000005, 0xc0000142), reinstalling NX 11 two times after reverting back via Snapshot made it somewhat workable, some functions still crash, like closing the program itself.

I hope this gets fixed soon.

Hardware:

MBP 2016 15", macOS 10.13

0 Kudos
cpshadow
Contributor
Contributor

I'm able to install windows VMs as long as I set the disk space to be preallocated. Once I did that I've had no issues. I know its not the best solution, but it works.

0 Kudos
fr34k3
Contributor
Contributor

Let me test that right away!

EDIT:

Doesn't work for macOS 10.13 (Installer doesn't even boot)

Windows 10

1703 seems to work

1709 seems to work

(tested opening cmd, edge, settings)

Further EDIT:!

I completely reinstalled my existing VMs with this method (pre-allocation of memory) and it now works like a charm. Thank you MichielS!

But still: VMware FIX THIS!

0 Kudos
embusa
Contributor
Contributor

Pre-allocating seems to help - I've been able to install VMs after doing this.  Tons of disk space being used though!

0 Kudos
daberlin
Contributor
Contributor

Hey VMware,

please give us an update!!!

Your product does not work as promised. And we paid money for this!

0 Kudos