VMware Communities
jtrom20
Contributor
Contributor

High Sierra - Fusion 10 - Cant install Any VMs

Hi All,

I have a late 2012 Macbook Pro Retina 13in 10,2 2.5GHZ i5 with 8gb of ram with a fresh install of High Sierra. I have tried installing Windows 10 version 1607 and 1703 multiple times with no success. Everytime the install fails and either just crashes or says the install cant be completed on this hardware. Any suggestions?

59 Replies
embusa
Contributor
Contributor

Yeah but we didn't pay for premium support.. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
fr34k3
Contributor
Contributor

But for (not working) product features like "installing a virtual machine" or "using a guest OS" :smileysilly:

0 Kudos
MichielS
Contributor
Contributor

True about the support. Though it would be nice if someone from VMware replied to this thread by giving us an update on the issue.

0 Kudos
fr34k3
Contributor
Contributor

I'd be happy either way: an update or an update Smiley Wink

fr34k3
Contributor
Contributor

I just noticed a serious drawback of this method: Snapshots take up insane space.

I think traditionally snapshots only save the differences between the one before and after/current state, but with pre-allocating it seems like it's saving the whole virtual disk again.

VMware could implement here some decent amount of compression.

I 7zipped my VM for backup reasons and 35 GB got compressed to 8 GB. I think this can be applied (at least partially) to snapshots or maybe even running VMs.

0 Kudos
AzN1337c0d3r
Contributor
Contributor

I am also having the same issues with APFS and Fusion. It also occurs under Fusion 8.5.8 as well.

Sometimes I notice corruption in the guest OS even if it installs correctly as well. Seems like preallocate or run it on external HFS volume is the only viable fix right now.

embusa
Contributor
Contributor

I've submitted a support request.. maybe they will have an answer..

0 Kudos
ZhangZihao9505
Contributor
Contributor

Same issue, not working on both Windows 7 x64 and x32, neither Windows 10 x64. Tried many times and all happened with different problems. Sometimes can successfully installed but the OS doesn't work at all. Considering a APFS issue.

0 Kudos
embusa
Contributor
Contributor

Here is the email I received from VMWare Support:

Eric, kindly note that this is a known issue with APFS, notified to the Engineering team. And, they are currently working on it. However, the only work around here would be enable pre-allocate the virtual disk for VM at the time of VM creation. As of now, we do not have any ETA regarding the fix. This should get resolved in future release of VMware Fusion. Hence, can we go ahead and provisionally archive this case.

0 Kudos
beeplefetzer
Contributor
Contributor

I have a MacBookPro mid-2012 with Intel Core I7, and High Sierra 10.13.1. In the past I have had no problems with any previous Fusion builds 8.5 and earlier. I Upgraded to Fusion 10 from 8.5 since I'm running High Sierra. My environment (processor etc) are within the Fusion 10 specifications. However, unable to create VM's most notably and important (to me) is Windows 10.

I have made many attempts to get this to work including the suggestions in this forum, but without success. Keep getting the '000021a' error and essentially reboots on it's own. Really frustrated at this situation. I at least need immediate alternative Fusion10 Pro? Parrallel's !?!?

Does anyone know if Fusion10 Pro works with High Sierra?

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
beeplefetzer
Contributor
Contributor

The "...work around here would be enable pre-allocate the virtual disk for VM at the time of VM creation" work around here actually works. Just wished I saw this post first.

0 Kudos
AzN1337c0d3r
Contributor
Contributor

This dynamically allocated disk thing appears to be fixed with Fusion 10.0.1 but broken still with Fusion 8.5.9. Can anyone else confirm?

0 Kudos
IanRandy
Contributor
Contributor

No. Not working on 10.0.1 for my apfs formatted late 2013 MacBook pro (1tb version)

It does appear to be only certain hardware affected though?

0 Kudos
AzN1337c0d3r
Contributor
Contributor

Weird, it works for me now.

Late 2016 Macbook Pro that was affected by this issue. After updating to 10.0.1. I am now able to install Ubuntu 17.10 without corruption and have been using it for a couple of days now.

The work machine (2017 iMac 27") updated to Fusion 8.5.9 remains affected.

0 Kudos
BredahlEU
Contributor
Contributor

Running fusion 8.5.9 on early 2013 macbook pro with apfs, changing the disks bus from SCSI to SATA fixed it here for dynamic disks. Not sure if there's any performance hit, but able to install on thin provisioned disks.

0 Kudos
relevante
Contributor
Contributor

I just tried preallocating the disk and still do not have a usable system. I'm on my 4th Win 10 install and have yet to have it work properly. I've had everything from looping BSODs on boot to failed VMWare Tools installs, to missing system apps (no web browser), to constant hanging to where the system is just useless. I'm not sure what to blame on Microsoft and what on VMWare, but it's a real problem.

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

The latest update (10.1.0) fix the issue for me.

0 Kudos
shubhanyu
Contributor
Contributor

For me, the fix was editing the .vmx file and in the line that says, firmware = "efi", I just used firmware = "uefi".

This instantly worked for me, no need for allocating all the disk space or anything, which did not work for me. I have registered myself here just to offer this fix for people here as well as for VMware folks to realise that they offer Legacy BIOS and UEFI options to boot, so it goes to say that firmware might be UEFI instead of just EFI. They need to add this to their software to automatically create that line, and that's it.

Thank you.

Mention to Mikero​ so they can look into this and help the customers. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Dune2017
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Just installed  VM Fusion-10.1.1-7520154 and got the message, "No OS found."

So, thank you for taking your time to publish this info.  But where exactly can I fine this .vmx file?  I've searched but I can't find it.

From Applications > VMware Fussion.app >Contents and looked through each of the folder (_CodeSignature, Frameworks, Info.plist, Library, MacOS, Public & Resources and all folders within these folders but I can. seem to find it.

Appreciate your help.

And what's up with this Boot Manager, am I suppose to see this?  I watched a video on how to install VM Fusion 10 Pro but this window did not appear in it.

Screen Shot 2018-02-06 at 3.00.21 AM.png

Update:

I uninstalled the VM Fusion 10 Pro, then tried to reinstall it again but I don't think it allows me to reinstall again.  I tried 3x and got "Getting file not found" all the time.

0 Kudos
fr34k3
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

There are 2 ways to get the vmx file:

Locate your VM in your Library then right-click. If you now press the ctrl key you will see an option to locate it in finder. The alt key reveals the option to edit the file in the text editor.

Mark

0 Kudos