VMware Communities
jtrom20
Contributor
Contributor

High Sierra - Fusion 10 - Cant install Any VMs

Hi All,

I have a late 2012 Macbook Pro Retina 13in 10,2 2.5GHZ i5 with 8gb of ram with a fresh install of High Sierra. I have tried installing Windows 10 version 1607 and 1703 multiple times with no success. Everytime the install fails and either just crashes or says the install cant be completed on this hardware. Any suggestions?

59 Replies
jtrom20
Contributor
Contributor

As far as I can tell the device is supported. Had no issue running VirtualBox on the device. The OS is completely up to date. This is really frustrating that I spent too much money to upgrade to a software that does not work at all.

0 Kudos
jtrom20
Contributor
Contributor

I disabled SIP and reinstalled VMWare Fusion 10 and when installing Windows 10 1703 got a BSOD after the install at first reboot.

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

SIP is irrelevant unless you're using boot camp.

Where did you get the installation source?  Are you sure it isn't corrupt?

0 Kudos
jtrom20
Contributor
Contributor

I got it through my vmware page where the licenses are kept. I have tried downloading multiple times and have wiped my OS and reinstalled multiple times.I have been downloading 10.0.1.

0 Kudos
brycerocky
Contributor
Contributor

I'm having the same issue. tried with windows 10 and 7. My install media is directly downloaded from Microsoft and is not corrupt. Tried the same experiment and ran in VirtualBox just fine. Running on a MacBook Pro 15" (mid 2014). Seriously considering asking for a refund for my upgrade.

0 Kudos
ErocMillsie
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Same exact issue here.  Direct download from Microsoft VLCS, Windows 10 1703.  Can't install, incompatible hardware errors or just Windows 10 fail screen.  MacBook Pro, Early 2011.  Clean install of 10.13 with APFS and 10.0.1

Early 2011 MacBook Pro and Early 2015 MacBook Pro Retina - OS X (Latest Release) - VMware Fusion (Latest Release)
0 Kudos
brycerocky
Contributor
Contributor

I've done some testing with an external USB 3.0 SSD drive. Turns out the issue seems to be rooted in AFPS. Using AFPS, I encountered a corruption issue during the install process on the second time. Using HFS+, I was able to successfully get through installation a half dozen times. This would be consistent with the issues I've seen with my internal drive, where I've encountered this with AFPS and AFPS encrypted.

Honestly, this is a surprising bug. AFPS is one of the major features in High Sierra. I would have expected VMware to have tested this common case scenario. Additionally, this is an issue in VMware Fusion 8.5.8 Pro as well under High Sierra. Stability is way more important than tabbed UI. I will be requesting a refund on my upgrade and looking for another option.

fretworksec
Contributor
Contributor

Same for us.

We're using state of the art MacBook Pro machines (2017 models) and just upgraded to MacOS 10.13 High Sierra. We also just upgraded to Fusion 10.01, and now we can't create any new MacOS virtual machines. (Old machines were upgraded OK. Haven't tried Windows/Linux yet.) The various instructions found on VMware's doc/support pages offered nothing, except maybe a little comic relief. Instructions here made us chuckle: Create a Virtual Machine for Any Supported Operating System​ which instruct the user to "Insert the operating system installation CD into your Mac." How many Mac's still have CD-Rom drives and I believe its been years since Apple shipped their OS on a CD-Rom? Obviously just an unimpressive cut-and-paste job with the documentation.

Anyway, here are the major issues we ran into:

(1) "Unable to create the installation media" -- See a screenshot here: Dropbox - Unable.png​.  To resolve the issue, we finally found this site Unable to create the installation medium · Issue #1 · VMwareFusion/sierra-vm-installer-fix · GitHub.

(2) System fails after install -- This is specific to creating a 10.13 High Sierra guest OS, on a platform running 10.13 as the host OS. For some reason I don't think this combination was fully tested. We have tried multiple times across multiple machines and it always fails. Another screenshot here: Dropbox - failure.png​. 

<sigh> Waiting for the 10.1 release, I guess.

0 Kudos
Johnson12
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same issue.

Every time I get a different error code when I installing windows 8.1 or windows 10. Like 0xc000021a and 0xc00007b

But sometimes it installs successfully, but the guest os is weird.

I have tried many times to reinstall the os and fusion. Smiley Sad

Vmware fusion pro 10.0.1 and high sierra

0 Kudos
Mikero
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks to everyone chiming in here, we're investigating.

Has anyone opened a case with Support that we can track?

-
Michael Roy - Product Marketing Engineer: VCF
0 Kudos
jtrom20
Contributor
Contributor

Just created support request 17588711210 for this

0 Kudos
acosmichippo
Contributor
Contributor

In case anyone needs an immediate workaround, I found that I was able to install a new VM by saving it to an external HFS volume instead of my APFS boot volume.  When the OS is done installing I'm going to try copying the VM to the APFS boot volume and will update.

IanRandy
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same issue. Fusion 10.0.1 and High Sierra.

Cannot create a new Windows 10 (1703) VM on APFS volume, depending on whether its legacy or uefi bios it either gives a windows blue screen with a QR code to a generic MS page, or it crashes into a boot loop. Moving a working VM from an HFS+ volume doesn't boot either and the file icon changes to a warning triangle and VmWare failed to recognise it. Opening the same VM from an external HFS+ volume works with no issues at all.

0 Kudos
fretworksec
Contributor
Contributor

Ah. Ok. Likely an issue with APFS then. Assuming an update will be out shortly to help with this. Glad it's not just me.

0 Kudos
ErocMillsie
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I was able create a new Windows 10, 1703 VM on an external HFS+ drive and move to APFS and boot without issue.

Early 2011 MacBook Pro and Early 2015 MacBook Pro Retina - OS X (Latest Release) - VMware Fusion (Latest Release)
0 Kudos
cpshadow
Contributor
Contributor

Any updates to this issue? Its impossible to create new Windows 10 vms on High Sierra.

0 Kudos
Legend0
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Time to switch to Parallels.

0 Kudos
cellodav
Contributor
Contributor

Upgraded my mid-2011 iMac (2.7 GHz Intel Core i5, 12 GB ram) to High Sierra and updated vmware Fusion to 10.0.1. I had been running Windows 7 x64 directly from Bootcamp for years, but now get the following error message:

"Operation not permitted.

Cannot open the disk '/Users/[username]/Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion/Virtual Machines/Boot Camp/Boot Camp 2.vmwarevm/Boot Camp 2.vmdk' or one of the snapshot disks it depends on.

Module 'Disk' power on failed.

Failed to start the virtual machine."

When I try creating a new VM direct from Boot Camp (there isn't enough room left to copy the volume...), the following pops up:

"Boot Camp volume preprocessing failed.
You may not be able to boot your Boot Camp volume as a virtual machine."

The Boot Camp volume does operate normally in direct boot up.

Any suggestions?

0 Kudos
MichielS
Contributor
Contributor

Another workaround is to pre-allocate disk space in the virtual disk settings. This resolved the problem for me. I suspect there is a problem with APFS in combination with automatically growing disk files.