VMware Communities
magentawave
Contributor
Contributor

HELP PLEASE: XP Freezes When Using VM Ware Fusion On MacBook Pro w/ 6gb of RAM

Two questions please...

1) XP freezes when I try to open the image library contained in a Windows-only website building program I use called XsitePro2. The program (XsitePro2) runs perfectly - until I open its image library. I assume this is a memory issue. Can someone please tell me exactly where to go and how best to allocate the memory or anything else I need to do to make this work? The developer of XsitePro2 claims he has no problems running it on a virtual machine using VM Ware Fusion. I am running VM Ware Fusion with XP on a Macbook Pro with 6gb of RAM.

2) IF I can't get XP to stop freezing when I open XsitePro2's image library, then I will have to run it on Bootcamp. Since I already installed VM Ware Fusion with Windows XP, does that mean I would have to install XP and XsitePro2 all over again in Bootcamp?

Thank you very much. :smileyblush:

Steve

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Mikero
Community Manager
Community Manager

How much CPU and RAM are you allocating to Windows?

Virtual Machine > Settings > Processors and RAM

Optimal settings for you would likely be 1 CPU with 512 MB of ram assigned to Windows.

-
Michael Roy - Product Marketing Engineer: VCF
0 Kudos
magentawave
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Mikero,

I have the RAM set at 2200 MB and my computer has a total of 6 GB of RAM. So I have it set at 4X the minimum of 512 MB. Got any other suggestions?

Thank you.

Steve

0 Kudos
Mikero
Community Manager
Community Manager

Have you treid assigning only 512, or perhaps 1024?

As well, which model Macbook do you have?

Apple > About This Mac > More Info > Model Identifier

Mine is, for example, MacBookPro5,5

-
0 Kudos
magentawave
Contributor
Contributor

I'm using a Macbook Pro4,1, 2.5 ghz, Intel Core Duo, 6 gb RAM, OSX 10.5.8

No I haven't tried assigning only 512 or 1024 mb because I assumed that since I have 6 gb of memory that it would be better to add more memory. Am I wrong in thinking that?

I mispoke earlier when I started this thread by saying that it was XP that freezes. Its NOT XP that is freezing (sorry about that). Instead, it is the website building software I'm using (XsitePro2) that is freezing and the only thing I can do is to close it from Windows Task Manager and then reopen it.

Thanks again.

Steve

0 Kudos
Mikero
Community Manager
Community Manager

No I haven't tried assigning only 512 or 1024 mb because I assumed that since I have 6 gb of memory that it would be better to add more memory. Am I wrong in thinking that?

It's a tough question to answer fully, but the short is: More RAM isn't always better.

Remember we're dealing with Windows XP who's RAM requirements originally were 64MB.

Depending on how some apps are coded, throwing more ram at the problem could make things worse.

Reduce your RAM usage to 512 and see if the issue persists.

As well, considering the rest of Windows is working, I don't think we're looking at a Fusion issue here, but something within your Guest. AntiVirus software getting in the way perhaps?

-
0 Kudos
magentawave
Contributor
Contributor

I don't even have any anti-virus software installed on the Windows side yet. I will try your suggestion of using less RAM and see how it goes.

Thanks again.

Steve

0 Kudos