VMware Communities
aphantis
Contributor
Contributor

problems after installing Snow Leopard

I upgraded to VMWare Fusion 2.05 and retried my Windows XP Boot Camp partition. It worked fine. Then, I installed Snow Leopard and tried to run VMWare. I got the message, which is probably very familiar to some people:

"Cannot open the disk '/Users/fanis/Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion/Virtual Machines/Boot Camp/%2Fdev%2Fdisk0/Boot Camp partition.vmwarevm/Boot Camp partition.vmdk' or one of the snapshot disks it depends on."

I searched the forums and tried to follow what has worked for others. I removed the partition (also tried to remove the whole VMWare Fusion directory under Library/Application Support/) as suggested (also emptied the Trash) and let VMWare to recreate the Boot Camp partition. Unfortunately, it did not work for me. I got the message:

"Boot Camp partition preprocessing failed.You may not be able to boot your Boot Camp partition as a virtual machine."

and immediately after "Cannot open the disk..." as before.

I decided to uninstall VMWare Fusion 2.05 and reinstall it. Unfortunately, when the uninstall window pops up and I press the Uninstall button, nothing happens. There is no response! No other application is open when I try. I tried to reinstall the program without uninstalling, but again the installation cannot start.

I restarted my Mac and rebooted to the XP partition, and this works. So the partition is not damaged.

Any solutions?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

(also tried to remove the whole VMWare Fusion directory under Library/Application Support/)

The directory "/Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion" (starting in the root of the harddrive) is a part of the Fusion program and you should not delete it through Finder however the "~/Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion" (starting in your home folder) is what you want to delete. So which one did you delete?

0 Kudos
aphantis
Contributor
Contributor

I deleted the correct one:

"~/Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion"

0 Kudos
aphantis
Contributor
Contributor

Something happened and the problem has been resolved. For some reason the system could not pop up the dialog that asks for the Administrator password. It's weird... Even after several reboots, even when I tried to run it with Administrator privileges (sudo ....). The unistall/install programs did not proceed for the same reason!

I don't know know what finally unblocked everything. It's probably the fact that I ran other applications that asked my for the Administrator password (e.g., I changed my network preferences).

In any case, I'm running now VMWare with Snow Leopard!

0 Kudos