VMware Communities
elduncan
Contributor
Contributor

Unable to install Windows on Mac OS X: Error message "No bootable device was detected"

Any suggestions on how to proceed?

Have Macbook (Mac OS X, 10.5, up to date) and want to install Windows (using current VMware Fusion 2.0.5)

1) Installed VMware

2) Legally obtained (downloaded) an ISO of WIndows XP (from our school's use of MSDNAA Online Software System):

Windows XP SP3 CD and WIndows Vista

(a) Windows XP Service Pack 3 (x86) - CD (English)

(b) Windows Vista SP2 (x86) - CD (Multilanguage)

3) Read and viewed instructions on creating a Virtual Machine from an ISO

PROBLEM: When attempting to create the New virtual machine, and following the instructions to point the disk image file ("Continue without disk", then "Ue Operating System installation disk image file" and selecting the ISO file that I've downloaded, the install quickly fails (see figures) as VMware is apparently unable to find the correct WIndows install files. It displays the error: "No bootable device was detected"

Although it would appear that the ISO files are questionable (since when this error has been found, it has been corrected when one grabs a good ISO file, based on the the relevant Knowledge Base articles and googled info that I've read), I've downloaded two, different WIndows OSs from a legitimate source, so I dount that both images are bad. Perhaps something else is at fault?

Please help a student complete their Windows install using VMware! Heart

0 Kudos
8 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Have you inspected the contents of the ISO, to me it would appear that the disks themselves are not set as bootable disk. Can you mount these iso's on the mac side so that they appear like regular install disks on the desktop. If they do mount like that then you could try to use it with Fusion that way. Fusion might even detect them as windows install disks and present the easy install function. You could also see if you can use those disks with boot camp. If they can be installed in boot camp then you should be able to use boot camp with Fusion as a virtual machine. You could use it along side of boot camp or import it as another virtual machine at that point.

0 Kudos
WaterBear
Contributor
Contributor

I also have the same problem as the guy who asked the question. i downloaded windows xp from my college website for free, totally legal they even gave me a cd key, after downloading it i changed it from an .exe to an .iso by changing the name and when i try to install it with vmware fusion it doesnt boot because of the exact same reasons as the guy. when i tried ur advice it didnt work because the disk image failed to mount because there is no mountable file systems... can someone please help me figure this out...

0 Kudos
Mikero
Community Manager
Community Manager

Is this 1 person with 1 issue and 2 user accounts, or was there some copy-paste action happening?

http://communities.vmware.com/message/1358283

Also, have (either of?) you done as Andrew suggested: mounting the ISO and examining the contents? If there's an .exe which needs to run (say, setup.exe), than it likely won't work unfortunately.

Also, have (either of?) you tried burning the iso to a cd and installing it using that?

-
Michael Roy - Product Marketing Engineer: VCF
0 Kudos
WaterBear
Contributor
Contributor

it was downloaded as an .exe file. so it wont mount and i havnt tried putting it on a disk, so i will try that

0 Kudos
Mikero
Community Manager
Community Manager

Likely that won't work...

the .exe presumes a pre-existing windows installation, which is not present.

As such, you'd need either an .iso image (which would be suitable for burning to disk), or a physical installation disk.

-
0 Kudos
WaterBear
Contributor
Contributor

is there any way to get a cd or .iso image for free, cuz i already have a cd key and i dont feel like paying 200 dollars for something i basically paid for with tuition

0 Kudos
Mikero
Community Manager
Community Manager

I would call Microsoft and see if they can refund you, considering you thought it was a full disk and not an upgrade.

-
0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

is there any way to get a cd or .iso image for free, cuz i already have a cd key and i dont feel like paying 200 dollars for something i basically paid for with tuition

First of all this isn't a Fusion issue and you need to contact appropriate person/people at your school to resolve this issue.

Have a look at:[VMware Fusion System Requirements|http://www.vmware.com/products/fusion/resources/system_requirements.html]

• Operating system installation media (disk or disk image) for virtual machines.

• Microsoft Windows (not included).

You're required to provide the proper installation media.

0 Kudos