VMware Communities
ds19380
Contributor
Contributor

Fusion Windows guest VM can't reach port on host

I have Mac host with latest version of Fusion.  I also have Virtualbox running Linux which is running a web server on port 8888.  I can easily reach this port from my Mac host.  I now am running Windows in Fusion and I need to reach that port from the Windows guest.  Is this possible?  I've searched the docs but can't find any configuration instructions.  Thanks.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
bluefirestorm
Champion
Champion

The most straightforward should be to use "Bridged Networking" - "Autodetect" for the "Network Adapter" settings of the Windows guest. This will make the Windows guest be in the same IP subnet as the Mac host. The other options (Shared with my Mac, Private to my Mac) will connect to a virtual switch that is different from the physical switch/network gear that the Mac host gets its IP address and other network settings from.

Hopefully, there won't be any firewall issues to tinker around and "Bridged Networking" setting of the VM is all that is needed.

0 Kudos
ds19380
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks, are you talking about "Network Adapter" settings in Windows itself, or in some area of the guest settings in Fusion?

0 Kudos
bluefirestorm
Champion
Champion

I was referring to the Virtual Machine settings of the guest in Fusion. The options "Share with my Mac", "Bridged Networking - Autodetect", "Private to my Mac" are in the Network Adapter settings in the Fusion VM settings of the guest. Those options won't appear inside the guest VM OS.

0 Kudos
ds19380
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the clarification, however I can never get the "Apply" button to become active when I change to Autodetect.  I have shut down the guest, clicked the padlock and entered my credentials, but 'Autodetect' mode never "sticks", whenever I go back it's switched back to some other mode.  Any ideas?

0 Kudos
bluefirestorm
Champion
Champion

It looks like you went to the Preferences (since you mentioned the padlock). You should be going to the Virtual Machine library (shortcut key - Shift-Cmd-L) and select the VM which you want to change.

Select the VM and then use shortcut-key Command+E, or double finger tap on the VM and click on Settings; or go to Virtual Machine at the menu and select Settings.

Network Adapter should be under the category of Removable Devices.

You should also ensure the Linux VM running on the VirtualBox is also running on Bridged networking (sorry I am not entirely familiar with VirtualBox but conceptually it should be similar to Fusion); This is to make all three: 1- the Mac host, 2- Linux VM on VirtualBox, and 3 - the Windows VM on Fusion to be on the same IP network.

0 Kudos
ds19380
Contributor
Contributor

thanks I'll try this.

0 Kudos