VMware Communities
Marjean
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Errors, VMWare Tools

I am in Event Viewer in Windows XP, and in 2 days, there are many VMWare Tools warnings and errors.  What is going on?

34 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

I just took a look in Event Viewer in a clean built Windows XP Professional SP3 Virtual Machine under VMware Fusion 6 with a clean install of VMware Tools and I'm seeing a reoccurring set of Error and Warning messages for VMware Tools.

The Error Description is: [critical] [vmsvc:Glib-GObject] file ..\..\..\gobject\gsignal.c: line 3062: assertion `G_TYPE_CHECK_INSTANCE (instance)' failed

The Warning Description is: [ warning] [vmsvc:Glib-GObject] invalid (NULL) pointer instance

Is this what you're seeing too?

I've sent a message to one of the Developers to look into this however it is the weekend so there may be no response till the week starts.

0 Kudos
Marjean
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

An example of what I am seeing...

In Event Viewer>Application: 

Error; 9/7/2013, 8:02:08 PM; VMWare Tools; None (Category); 1000 (Event); SYSTEM (User)

The warnings are the same as errors.

I reinstalled VMWare Tools and will see if that helps.

0 Kudos
Marjean
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Just checked Event Viewer>Application this morning and there are several errors and warnings relating to VMWare Tools, therefore reinstalling did not work.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

I was able to reproduce this with a fresh install of XP SP3 (see attached.) Now that Tools is running I'm not seeing additional errors, even after a guest reboot. I wanted to post here to see if either of you are seeing additional instances of these error messages on an ongoing basis?

-SimonScreen Shot 2013-09-09 at 1.38.23 PM.png

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Simon,  I have the errors I reported reoccurring each time the VM is start/restarted however I haven't had it running long enough to see if it reoccurs over time in between the time it's running and shutdown or rebooted.  Regardless though it's something the Tools Developers should look at, wouldn't you say! Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Woody,

The problem report has already been filed for the team to take a look at. I was looking for clarification of the symptoms. On my setup there are no new errors after a shutdown/reboot of the guest (although the old ones remain in the log.) There may be more than one issue here.

-Simon

0 Kudos
Marjean
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I had the following experience today (9/9/13):

Warning, 9/9/2013, 7:50:49 AM, VMWare Tools

Error, 9/9/2013, 7:50:49 AM, VMWare Tools

Warning, 9/9/2013, 7:51:04 AM, VMWare Tools

Error, 9/9/2013, 7:51:04 AM, VMWare Tools

Warning, 9/9/2013, 1:46:51 PM, VMWare Tools

Error, 9/9/2013, 1:46:51 PM, VMWare Tools

Warning, 9/9/2013, 1:47:03 PM, VMWare Tools

Error, 9/9/2013, VMWare Tools

In each instant:

Error Type: Event ID:  1000

User:  NT Authority/System

Description of Errors:

[critical] [vmsvc:Glib-GObject] file ..\..\..\gobject\gsignal.c: line 3062: assertion `G_TYPE_CHECK_INSTANCE (instance)' failed

Description of Warnings:

[ warning] [vmsvc:Glib-GObject] invalid (NULL) pointer instance

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Hi Marjean,

I had the similar issue but was able to fix it by restarting the VMware tools service by following the steps below -

Note: Had to restart the VMware tools service twice not sure why but it worked for me

1. Click on start, then click on Control Panel
  2. In Control Panel, click on Administrative Tools
  3. In Administrative Tools, click on Services
  4. Now choose VMware tools
  5. Right click VMware tools and restart the service

Hope this helps Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
StockTrader
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

I see the same identical error in FreeBSD 64 bit after updating the VMWARE TOOLS.

Capture.PNG

Kind regards,

Marco -StockTrader-

Message was edited by: Marco : Screenshot Added

0 Kudos
Marjean
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

RestartedVMWare Tools as instructed and it didn't work.  Got warnings and errors this morning at 7:51 AM.

Am using IncrediMail and it only works at times.  Can't send or receive emails.  Seems to have something to do with antivirus program.  All related exceptions are in firewall.  Had no problems before upgrading to VMWare Fusion 6.

Have no problem with Outlook Express.

Same thing with Internet Explorer.  Can get online occasionally, but most of the time not.

Sure wish someone could come up with a solution.

0 Kudos
Marjean
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I am now getting crypt32 errors..."Failed auto update retrieval of third-party root list sequence number from: <http://www.download.windowsupdate.com/msdownload/update/v3/static/trustedr/en/authrootseq.txt> with error: This network connection does not exist."

Why am I able to use Outlook Express with no problem, and yet only occasionally get on the internet using a web browser?  I would say that's why I am getting the crypt32 error.

Please, give me a fix.

0 Kudos
IlDavo
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Immediately after upgrade from VMware Fusion 5.0 to 6.0, bootup of previously-fully-operational Windows XP SP3 guest (I did not "upgrade the virtual machine" to a new version) and subsequent VMware Tools auto re-install (I did not initiate the re-install, VMware did), I got the error, "VMware Tools Core Service has encountered an error and needs to close...".

When I acknowledge this dialog, the VMware Tools tray icon that had previously appeared disappeared.

I did a "repair" install of VMware Tools and rebooted the guest XP machine.

Same error.

Checking Services, I found the VMware Tools service was still running. I re-started it.

Checking the Event Log, I found the following in the Application Log:

Event Type: Error
Event Source: VMware Tools
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1000
Date:  9/14/2013
Time:  6:54:04 PM
User:  NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
Computer: [removed]

Description:
[critical] [vmsvc:Glib-GObject] file ..\..\..\gobject\gsignal.c: line 3062: assertion `G_TYPE_CHECK_INSTANCE (instance)' failed

I re-started twice more as advised by ranjeets.

VMware Tools service continues to run ("Started" in Services and executable's still running in Task Manager).

New messages appeared in my Application Log after the two service re-starts:

Restoring network configuration (event ID 258)

Not restoring network configuration for adapter with MAC address xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx. The device ID for this adapter is unchanged. (event ID 270)

Restored network configuration (event ID 271)

Issue currently unresolved.

0 Kudos
tmg2013
Contributor
Contributor

With Fusion 6.0 and Windows XP Professional Version 2002 SP 3, I have a similar experience with "VMware Tools Core Service has encountered an error and needs to close...". The UI phenomena are the same. My Event Log entries are not the same. I do have "Faulting application vmtools.exe, version 9.6.0.26048, faulting module msvcr90.dll, version 9.0.30729.6161, fault address ....

When prompted to send the error report, I agreed, but it is unclear to me whether it has gone to VMWare or Microsoft or both.

0 Kudos
maninrochester
Contributor
Contributor

I am also having the same problem.  It seems there's an issue with the tools install I've seen errors around VMCI driver not being installed correctly.  Unity mode will not work for this VM, but does work for others

0 Kudos
Kristofejro
Contributor
Contributor

I have exactly the same problem but on WS10 on Windows 7.

https://communities.vmware.com/thread/458386

0 Kudos
Michael_Gillen
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same error on a Windows XP guest in a Windows 8.1 host.

(Workstation 10)

I am trying to duplicate an error in our software that uses two FTDI USB serial ports. I am seeing an intermittent problem in the software that I want to duplicate on the virtual machine (and have), but I don't know if it is the software or something related to this error.

I'll have to wait...

0 Kudos
qiskevin
Contributor
Contributor

tmg2013,

I am getting the exact same error and event log entry as you are.  I am on Fusion 6.0.1, however.

0 Kudos
thejapanese
Contributor
Contributor

For me the same. Using Fusion 6.01 with same errors.

0 Kudos
dbaps2
Contributor
Contributor

Professional Version 6.0.2 (1398658)

Same problem on Fusion running Windows 7 x64. This order in my application event log.

Event id 1000

Event id 1000

Event id 4105

"windows is in notification period" source winlogon

Event id 1000

Event id 1000

Running Mavericks on a 2010 iMac 11,3.

0 Kudos