VMware Communities
mortengh
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Cannot remove virtual hard disk

Hello!

I am using Fusion-5.0.2 and cannot remove a vitual disk. As you can see from the screenshots, the VM (called Backup) IS powered down and there are NO snapshots...

Screen Shot 2013-01-02 at 8.45.18 PM.png

... and the VM has no 'Restrictions'.

Screen Shot 2013-01-02 at 8.49.00 PM.png

Still the 'Remove Hard Drive' button is just gray.

Anybody knows why I cannot delete virtual hard drives from Fusion?

Best regards,

- Morten Green Hermansen

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mortengh
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hello!

The problem was that to be able to remove a vDisk, encryption must be removed first.

Best regards,

- Morten Green Hermansen, Fanitas

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

To help figure out what is what, the best way to provide comprehensive diagnostic information is to use the "Collect Support Information" command from the VMware Fusion (menu bar) > Help > Collect Support Information and then attach the .tgz file it created on your Desktop to a reply post.

0 Kudos
mortengh
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Argh! Sorry about that!

I have attached the file to this message.

Best regards,

- Morten

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Looks like it might be OS X Permissions issue.  The files in the "/Volumes/OS X Data/Temp/~ VMware/Communities/mortengh/vm-01-02-13.75793/Volumes/Disk-3/VMs/Backup.vmwarevm" Package how _unknown  _unknown as the Owner and Group and Disk Management show the Disk-3 Disk to be formatted Journaled HFS+.  If it was me I'd try taking ownership and full permissions on the Virtual Machine Package and the files within and then see if you can manipulate the Virtual Machine's Settings.  The only other thought that comes to mind and I do not know if this it's relevant because I do not use VMware Fusion's Encryption is if having it encrypted is playing some part in this however by bet is on Ownership and Permissions at the OS X Filesystem Level.

0 Kudos
NickGanesh
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi, I have exactly the same annoying problem. Have you managed to fix it?

Here is my Support Info:

0 Kudos
mortengh
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hello!

The problem was that to be able to remove a vDisk, encryption must be removed first.

Best regards,

- Morten Green Hermansen, Fanitas

0 Kudos