VMware Communities
cHamBe
Contributor
Contributor

Problem when open VM

Hello,

I have various VM inside external HDD and when I want open ,  everything folders and files are in ghost/ disable and I don't run none VM.

A greeting

0 Kudos
2 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

cHamBe wrote: I have various VM inside external HDD and when I want open ,  everything folders and files are in ghost/ disable and I don't run none VM.

I'm going to assume that English is not your primary language and as such what you have written may not be totally clear.

That said...

You have the Virtual Machines stored on an external hard drive, yes?...

Now for the second part of what you said...

You cannot run the Virtual Machines that are stored on the external hard drive, yes?.

I'll assume you are trying to open them using the File > Open... command and this is were files/folders are grayed out, yes?

Maybe a screen shot would be helpful, otherwise all I can offer is to make sure the permission are properly set on the external hard drive.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

In addition to what WoodyZ says, please be aware that OS X does not by default have write support enabled on filesystems such as NTFS. While that can be enabled, it is probably safer to use a file system that OS X supports.

FAT file system does have file size limits, the way I normally work around that is by setting the virtual disk to be made up of split disks. You can change a VM's settings on that using Fusion from the VM menu -> Settings -> Disk -> checkbox on "Split into multiple files". This setting can only be changed with the VM shutdown and obviously not on a disk where OS X has not write access.

Hope this helps,

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos