VMware Communities
Monilhasquestio
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Adding more space to virtual win 7 in macbook

I have VMware 8.1.1 on my macbook pro which is running OSX EL capitan 10.11.5. I recently purchase a 256gb Transcend Jetdrive. Now I installed it in my Macbook pro and created 2 volumes. I am trying dedicate one of the volumes to install virtual machines on and make those machine use that space for saving documents and applications. I couldn't find a way how to do, if anyone know or can help me id very much appreciate it

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MacsRule
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

By default, your Virtual Machine files are created and saved in the Virtual Machines folder in your Documents folder. You can simply move the folder and the VM files it contains to whichever partition on the new drive you prefer and run them for the first time from Fusion using File>Open. If you are asked whether the VM's have been copied or moved, pick "moved." However, unless there's some reason why you want to isolate the VM files from whatever will go in the other partition, you might be better off going back to the single partition in the Jetdrive and let the VM folder contain the VM files.

Then, if you want to increase the size of the volume that Windows 7 thinks it's operating in, follow these instructions after expanding the VM file in Settings>Hard Disk in Fusion. To do that you'll need extra free space to support the expansion process and the VM must be powered off and have no snapshots.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
MacsRule
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

By default, your Virtual Machine files are created and saved in the Virtual Machines folder in your Documents folder. You can simply move the folder and the VM files it contains to whichever partition on the new drive you prefer and run them for the first time from Fusion using File>Open. If you are asked whether the VM's have been copied or moved, pick "moved." However, unless there's some reason why you want to isolate the VM files from whatever will go in the other partition, you might be better off going back to the single partition in the Jetdrive and let the VM folder contain the VM files.

Then, if you want to increase the size of the volume that Windows 7 thinks it's operating in, follow these instructions after expanding the VM file in Settings>Hard Disk in Fusion. To do that you'll need extra free space to support the expansion process and the VM must be powered off and have no snapshots.

0 Kudos
Monilhasquestio
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you soo much, this helped me alot.

0 Kudos