VMware Communities
dietmarst
Contributor
Contributor

Move virtual machine to an external hd

Hi,

I am a little bit at a loss. Lately, my MacBook Air warns me on a regular basis that my startup disk is full, and the main reason for this is my virtual machine which I need on a regular, but not daily basis. The Virtual Machines folder in Documents has a size of 26.5 GB, but when I open Windows C: has a size of 60 GB with 30 GB being available (so 30 GB are actually free, but the Mac an't use it?).

Anyway - I need to free up space on my computer. And unless I give up Fusion completely and install the one software I need to run in Windows on a cheap PC, I need to free the space up by moving the virtual machine onto an external HD.

I googled it and only find older answers, so I am not sure if it's that easy.

So: Can I just move the Virtual Machines folder to an external HD and point the software to that folder?

What else do I need to pay attention to?    

And does that free up 60 GB, or just the 26.5 GB I see in that folder?

Thanks!

1 Reply
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

The procedure for moving a VM to another disk hasn't changed.

Nevertheless, it is as follows.

Shut down your virtual machine

Shut down Fusion

Move your virtual machine to the external disk

Start Fusion

Use File Open to locate the virtual machine on the external disk

When Fusion asks "did you move or copy" select "move" as otherwise your windows will need to be re-activated as copy will generate new hardware for the virtual machine.

As for how much space you'll gain. You just gain the amount of free space that the virtual machine bundle uses on the Mac side.

Other things to remember is that running a VM from an external disk is a bit more fragile as it now is possible to disconnect -intentionally or unintentionally- the external disk with the virtual machine running.

This can potentially destroy your VM (usually it does not, but there's a chance of it, it certainly increases risks of data corruption if that happens)

So my suggestion is to make regular copies, with the VM shut down, to another external disk.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva